Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding Pains

tet
    tet is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding Pains

Has anyone experienced pains deep inside the breast after nursing the baby? I get these shooting pains inside the breast (not confused with nipple soreness) after the baby nurses on my left breast. This does not happen if I pump the left breast nor on my right - nursed or pumped.

One time my left breast was really sore (suspecting mastitis because of light redness) but I continued pumping and the pain went away in 2 days without medication.

Would appreciate if you could offer any insights/suggestions. Thanks!

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

I suspect it may be thrush? does your nipple look pink/red in colour and baby's tongue is white?
    I used to have that 1mth ago, I used diluted vinegar to wipe my nipple after feed and also try to keep it as dry as possible.
    I did not go to the doc and it seems to go after after a few weeks

MLBW Guest

It could be the milk ejection reflex--my breasts often did that--it's like a pinching or hurting pain inside of the breast itself. Mine was especially bad on the side of the breast--I guess those milk ducts were especially active--are you new to nursing? This happened a lot for me in the first 3 months but sort of subsided--although it would ache sometimes later on too. It's just from the milk being ejected down through the breast--that is what my lactation consultant told me.

tet
    tet is offline Registered User

i've been breastfeeding for almost 5 months but the suspected mastitis happened two months ago. I've had recurring pain lately and it's only on the left breast, the breast which I consider the "weaker" of the two.

yuukalim0404, THe nipple looks pinkish but the baby's tongue is not white. I just came from the GP and he said infection and didn't elaborate further. He almost gave me antibiotics but when I kept pressing the safety of the medicine, he just gave me panadol. Lol.

MLBW, that's what I was thinking also, milk ejection reflex, but didn't know what it was called. Because it always happens after nursing not not after pumping. I am thinking that the baby is better at emptying the breast than my pump. But i'm not sure. I was kind of hoping that the GP will refer me to an OB, but referred me to a surgeon instead.

I will try contacting a LLL Leader in Tung Chung. One time when I was really down (milk supply down and hurting bad), I texted Margarita but didn't get any response. She might be busy. Might try giving her a call.

Thanks Ladies for your inputs.