Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Terminating helper

mushi is offline Registered User

hi honeybee,
    yes u r right it is the same helper.....and yes i had been extremely unhappy with her.....i guess we both had to give in to adjust to our differences and now i am quite satisfied with her. but it did take some pain and time to get adjusted......the reason i stuck on with her were her honesty and hard working nature......her minuses are lack of warmth and sometimes she still goes off-mood for no reason i seem to understand but it all depends on what u r looking for ina helper.,.......i mention all these points to whoever who writes/talks to me.....but i do wish her well as now she is really attached to my sons sp. the younger one and am sure they will miss her.

honeybee is offline Registered User

In this old thread you said 'no matter how hard i have tried, your helper fails to show any affection for my kids or any kind of enthusiasm to work even she already worked for your family for 8 months, and you still felt very worrying when you left your children alone with her.' But now you wrote in the other thread saying ' she is excellent with my kids....she is very honest and hardworking and you can trust your children and house with her' . Your comments changed from very negative comment to a very positive comment. I just want to point out that we are really taking employer's recommendation seriously. I think employers should write recommendation only because they are very happy with their helper, not because they're leaving HK and try to help finding an new employer.

Neha is offline Banned

I agree i would not recommend my current helper to anyone and when we inquired about her past employee said great things and totally false. I am just continuing knowing that in 9 months time I wont need her.

Michelle2009 is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree more as as to the seriousness of an employer's recommendation. Thanks Honeybee for spotting the inconsistency.

I was recommended my helper and she came with glowing references as to her housekeeping, cooking and child-minding skills...only to find, less than one month in to the contract, that she is hopeless at housekeeping and cooking. I dread to think what her child-minding skills are like.

The hopelessness and irritation I feel at the moment as I cannot, on a practical level, terminate her contract as our first baby is due in three weeks. Now my only option is to see if she improves at all during my maternity leave. If not, I'll have to terminate her contract and start the process all over again as soon as I have settled back in at home with the baby.

honeybee is offline Registered User

Employer's recommendation definitely pays a very important factor when considering a helper. A short interview or even trials can't tell much about a helper who tries to get herself a job, some will even pretend to be good. So employer's recommendation is the best way to reveal a helper's true personality and performance, and that's why most employers-to-be (like myself) are looking for helper with good referrals when we're looking up asiaxpat or other classified posts. So when an employer comments her helper as 'excellent' in whatever, we would assume we won't need to go through all the pains in training her that skills. I agree with Michelle2009 that I would feel very frustrated (or perhaps angry) to find out that this 'excellent' helper turns out to be far from meeting expectation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234