Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any dads-to-be on this forum?

ladybug is offline Registered User

My most useless purchase prior to birth was a hair brush and comb set. My baby is 6 months old and still doesn't have enough hair to comb or brush. It isn't as if she is going to wake up one morning with a full head of long hair that needs brushing. Eventually she will have hair but I could use even that little bit of extra clutter out of the way.

Really, try to avoid a lot of the gimmicks. Swaddle blankets were a waste. You can swaddle with any blanket. Creepers and onesies- I can't tell you how many I've donated that my baby had never even worn. I was so worried I wouldn't have enough of the basics and in the end I was given so much stuff I never got around to using it all. Newborns don't get dirty. Mine didn't even spit up. So often times I could use the same onesie twice before washing. If you find you need something you can always go to the shops and get it. Rarely are the shops closed for a holiday and most likely what you find you might need isn't so urgent that you can't wait an extra day.

pangmei is offline Registered User

Hi there,

When I was pregnant, my husband & I were completely overwhelmed by baby shops. The 'what to buy' checklist in my pregnancy book was an entire chapter and there was such a dizzying array of choices in the shops.

Now that Finn is 7 months old, here is a list of what we found to be most useful for those first few months:

* A sling/carrier - we got the Ergo with infant insert and Finn loved it. He would pretty much fall asleep as soon as he was put in it. My husband used to go out for long walks with Finn and let me catch up on sleep :-)

* Large lightweight cotton muslin wraps - we were given a pack of Bubba Blue ones and they were fantastic. Finn really liked to be swaddled and slept much better wrapped.

* A rocker - A real lifesaver for us. In the early days, Finn really didn't like his cot and would sometimes only sleep in the rocker.

* Muslin cloths - we got a pack of 20 from Mothercare. We've used them as burping cloths, makeshift bibs and they're also large enough to cover up baby in the stroller.

In terms of an air purifier, we live in Guangzhou which is much more polluted than HK so we have bought an IQ Air. It's hard to know how much difference it really makes, but it does give us peace of mind.

Cheers,

Grace

JO&ROB is offline Registered User

Any dads-to-be on this forum?

We also considered a air purifier,but ended up just using our de-humidifier on the Air purifying setting ( apparently babys should have some humidity so dont de-humidify) It has two basic washable filters that remove the dust from the air but doesn't purify as such, even with the doors closed and aircons I still have to clean them of fibres and fluff.(maybe all the new clothes!).
    As for what not to buy just yet - We bought a plastic laundry wash basin/tub as a bath as its 1/3 the size of a baby bath and cost almost nothing. and works fine- I still use it for quick washes and He is almost 7kgs.
    I must agree with ladybug that you dont need so many clothes up front as we also gave away lots unworn.Everyone you know will give your newborn something so dont bother with toys etc till after the birth, when you see what you didn't get given.Good Luck and enjoy.

mwong222 is offline Registered User

1. buy what you need right away (things that you will need for first week). everything else can be bought when the baby is already at home. make a list. you can cross out any useless stuff when you can think more clearly. i think most of the useless items people buy is because they are not thinking clearly and buy whatever is being sold at baby shops. newborns and babies grow out of clothes very fast. if you received a lot of clothes from family and friends, then do not buy at all.

2. getting an air purifier but don't know which brand yet. will get to purify only the baby's room and not the whole house. honestly, kids do need to be exposed to some pollution to build up immunity.

3. i know some guys have taken off but don't know if it was paternity leave or just regular leave.if there is paternity leave, i wouldn't expect more than 1 week.

rani is offline Administrator

Here's the GeoBaby Newborn Checklist. It's been compiled by a GeoBaby Mum and it's broken down into, "must have", "nice to have" and "get it if you have the extra $$"

http://www.geobaby.com/images/storie...ecklist(1).pdf

intercal is offline Registered User

There is no law in HK for paternity leave. They tried to bring it up for discussion for couple years but failed to make it a law. Like everyone else said, check with your company.

From the baby's point of view, nice bedding like pillow, bumper and deco is really a waste. I think they are just for the parents to feel good about the new arrival (which may be important to you).

If you are going to bottle feed, I won't get too many baby bottles, especially the smaller ones. I suggest getting enough diapers just to avoid unnecessary trips and using the time to spend with the baby.

clowe77 is offline Registered User

hmmm, pillows are unnecessary i agree, but bumpers personally we cannot do without, esp as we have an active little one who at 4-5 months started to really enjoy squiriming up to the top of the cot and sleeping there with his head against the soft bumper. without a bumper (for us), there'd be many painful night wakings as he'd hit his head against the wooden planks on the side of his cot many many times throughout the night. but mayb that's just us!

rebekah is offline Registered User

for us, honestly, the most useless purchase was a cot. We had no intentions of being a cosleeping family but it does work well for us. I say get what they need at the start (a bassinet or moses basket) and buy the crib later when you need it. I admit that I would not have been able to do that myself!

Best purchase was an ergo carrier and infant insert. My baby loved it as an infant, it was like magical sleep inducing material, and 6 months later she still loves it. If she is fussy, I pop her in the ergo and go for a walk, instant calming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12