Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice for choosing a car seat.

frisbee90 is offline Registered User

Advice for choosing a car seat.

Hi mummies,

I'm considering buying a car seat for my baby. He is 8 months old, not big (only 8 kg), moves a lot.
    There are so many brands on the market and they all look good. I really don't know which brand and model to choose. Can you give me some advice? Thinking of a convertable one that I can use until he turns 4 or 5 yrs old.
    Priorities are: safe and comfy, 5 point harness, back recline, durable.
    thank you.

jjmum is offline Registered User

I think Britax is a very reliable brand. I got mine from a colleague, and she got it from her sister, so it's actually 3rd hand when it arrived at my car. Still looking good! And definitely durable. My colleague told me that she read from a magazine saying Britax is the best brand as it got the highest score among several other brands in some kind of crashing tests.

Sage is offline Registered User

My best advice is to bring your baby along when you are buying a carseat. When we were ready to upgrade to a front-facing carseat, I did some research and decided on either Britax's eclipse Si or Maxi-Cosi's Priori SPS. My bub didn't like the Priori SPS and so, we ended up with the Britax which she loves. Having a good carseat makes driving alone with the bub so much more easier and less stressful. We bought it when she was a little over 9kg.

Also, try and get one with 'side impact protection' a feature currently found in all the new generation carseats.

frisbee90 is offline Registered User

Thank you JJmum and Sage for the advice. It's a good idea to bring the baby along.

Has anyone heard of a Spanish brand "Jane"?
    Any comments on Combi?

Cheers

NYCMel is offline Registered User

We currently use and LOVE our Maxi Cosi. We've had since birth and our son is now 11 months old. Once he reaches 29 lbs we will switch to a Britax that we bought in the US.