Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Crying it out

Paddles is offline Registered User

I have never been a fan of he CIO method, however I was having a lot of sleep issues with my 6 month old and on recommendations from my paed I decided to try this weekend. Am currently on night 3, the first night she woke and cried for an hour, I went in 3 times and picked her up once, after an hour she fell asleep. Night 2 she slept 12 hours and last night she woke and sang for 30 mins before going back to sleep. She has been a much happier baby during the day because she is getting a proper night's sleep - before she was up 2/3 times a night for more than an hour sometimes.

The only thing now is thar she wakes very early in the morning and wants her milk, but I reckon that I can move this little by little every day.

It may not work for everyone, but I had tried many other techniques and this is the only one that has given good results and she is such a happy smily baby that I don't believe it's done her any damage :o)

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies for all your helpful replies. One quick question - a few of you warned to be consistent with nap times during the day. How did you use CIO during the day time? if he cries for an hour during the afternoon before napping for 40 minutes, doesn't that cut into your day bigtime and disrupt your daytime schedules?

mushi is offline Registered User

HI CLOWE77, i have not yet used the CIO for daytime since it does not suit my needs...i have an elder son and i cannot expect him to stay there and hear his bro cry himself to sleep........due to his bad night sleeeping habits my baby has never slept for more than 40 mins for his 3 daytime naps prior to CIO, after CIO he has himself graduated to one-hour naps and i am trying to get him to sleep for 2-hrs in the afternoon....but in all this i always rock him to sleep....what about the other mums??

NYCMel is offline Registered User

For us, we were going into his room during the day and then not at night when our son cried. This confused him as the message was unclear. During the day, if my son cries before his "wake-up time window" we do not go in. If he is clearly awake and not going back to sleep, I wait for a lull in the crying and then go to him. Normally now, he will cry for at most for 10 minutes, then will either go back to sleep or play in his crib. FOr me, I didn't want him associating crying with mom/dad coming in to comfort him. I also know that if he can put himself back to sleep at night, he can certainly do it during the day.

mushi is offline Registered User

hi clowe77, just got yr sms and tried calling u.....how old is yr baby? why don;t u try shifting his sleep time ...make it 30 mins later than normal so that he can feed a little late and that way does not get up hungry in the morning.... 5.45 am wake up is not so bad....and i think u can easily push it a bit,,.also i know its the most difficult to ignore a 5.45 am call since u always feel that he is hungry.....my baby wakes up at 6.15 am sometimes....once i picked him up tried to settle him down but he wanted to play after that so he never went back to sleep....once i ignored him and let him for 20 mins ...ii.e. he cried for 10 mins ...then silence and then again for 10 mins by which time it was 6.45 am in any case so i picked him up.....once i just let him be for 10 mins and he fell off to sleep again and woke up at 7.15 am.....so it is trial and error and u will learn this way.....try to differntiate this cry from the late night cry and judge what it means? i would in yr place wait for 15-20 mins of crying and if u maintain complete silence he would go abck to sleep........but do try a diff sleep time like i mentioned earlier to help him sleep till late.,....call me if u need to talk

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

I did CIO for daytime naps. You need a week where you don't have any scheduled activities so you can focus on the naps. If your baby cries for 1hr before a 40min nap, try putting him down 10mins earlier. I swear it works!! there is a window, right when they get tired and before they get over tired (each child is different so you will need some time to learn his cues. eye rubbing is a late sign of tired already. for me, it's as soon as he yawns - just once, and within the next 5mins i will put him down.) Trust that he will not cry 1hr every day before nap time, he will get used to your routine. i think the crying is because they don't know what to expect and are confused.

I don't follow the clock. I used to, but now that I am better at reading my baby's cues, we have a slightly different schedule everyday but we always follow the same sequence. wake up/feed/play/water/sleep. now, as soon as i offer the water bottle, he is ready to doze off (this only works during the day) at night we are still at crying for 30-45mins every other night. i still haven't worked out why he cries on some nights and doesn't on other nights...what am i doing that's different??? haha need to figure that one out.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

I also do what NYCMel does and wait for a lull in the crying to go in. If my elder son (22mths) wakes up crying, it usually means he needs more sleep and if i wait 10mins, he will fall back to sleep and the next time he wakes up babbling and happy. for my 6mth old, it's the same, if he's had enough sleep he will gurgle and be quite content to hang out on his own, if he is up crying it's bc he soiled his diaper or hasn't had enough sleep yet so i will let him cry and he will fall back asleep. if he doesn't go back to sleep or cries like he's hungry, then i will get him and try again at the next cycle.

babies are funny, you work so hard to get them onto a schedule and within a month or 2 they are onto something new and require a slightly different schedule. my elder son didn't fully settle into a 2 naps/day and 12-13hr nights until he was 11 or 12mths. i dont know if that was because i did CIO late at 10mths or because that is when they slow down and get more settled. my 6mth old doesn't nap at exactly the same time every day and he eats a slightly different amount everyday too. some days it's 3 solid meal and on others it's 4 solid meals along with his milk.

try not to get too stressed out. the crying is really tough to listen to but one day, the crying will stop and you will have a happy and well rested baby. hang in there!!

LeahH is offline Registered User

I found that by starting CIO at night, by morning we were over the worst of it and the naps didn't go too badly the next day. She had a pretty regular nap schedule in the day (despite a huge amount of time spent 'getting' her to sleep).

I was told if they cry for the length of the nap you get them up and continue at the next nap - or if they fall asleep at the end, let them sleep for a bit but get them up as close as possible to the wake up time. To be honest, it never happened that she cried for the length of the nap - the next day it was max 20 mins, then less and less - 10 mins at the end of the day.

E.g. her first day time nap the next day was 45 mins, she cried for 20, I let her sleep for 25 and got her up. For her longer lunch time nap she had become a classic 'wake up after 45 mins e.g. one sleep cycle' bub prior to CIO, after a few days she would do a full 2 hrs at lunch time.

We were as consistent with the day time naps as we were at night and it seemed to work well this way.

hope that helps.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast