Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Queen Mary and Husbands!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=MLBW;896701]Bedside manner is a part of medical care--not an addition to it.

Dr Lucy Lord is a great doctor, but her bedside manners are terrible...so it really isn't one and the same thing in her case. It's really what you can put up with and what you can take and whether or not it is worthwhile to you. Dr Lord has plenty of patients, whom either can put up with her bedside manner, or believe she is so good at what she does she is worth just ignoring....who knows! :)

MLBW Guest

[quote=lesliefu;896741]

Quote Originally Posted by MLBW View Post
    Bedside manner is a part of medical care--not an addition to it.

Dr Lucy Lord is a great doctor, but her bedside manners are terrible...so it really isn't one and the same thing in her case. It's really what you can put up with and what you can take and whether or not it is worthwhile to you. Dr Lord has plenty of patients, whom either can put up with her bedside manner, or believe she is so good at what she does she is worth just ignoring....who knows! :)
    I guess I should clarify when I'm talking about bedside manner, I am visualizing what I said from the beginning of this discussion--women in labor having to adjust their own rusted-hinge hospital beds because "it's not the nurses' job", not being helped to learn how to feed their babies so the babies cry all night long and then barking at the mothers for letting the baby cry all night long, women being humiliated in labor (one friend was giving birth in the public hospital and the staff told her she was a "wimp" because she wasn't pushing hard enough or fast enough...berating her while she's trying to push a baby out!)....things like that...basic hospital care, I believe. If Dr. Lord participates in the above actions or condones them, I would still rate her as a below-par doctor (no matter how "great" her medical knowledge/care is)--as those things are just basic common sense--especially for a doctor who charges you a hefty fee as I'm sure she does (based on the price listings I saw for her about two years ago). However, I can't speak about her service as I've never been to her and don't remember hearing much about her (other than what you just told me and seeing her fee schedule).

Of course, but if you have Dr. Lord as your doctor, wouldn't you be delivering privately? Is she a regular doctor in the public hospital? And if you are delivering privately (or in some sort of private package) wouldn't you be choosing your own doctor? It's not like you just show up and they assign you a doctor like with the public system, right?

So, what I have to say, is if it's your choice and you're choosing the doctor, and that doctor's bedside manners happen to be deplorable (or less than standard), then it's sorta your own choice to have that doctor--if you want a good doctor with good bedside manners there are other options out there--Dr. Lord is obviously not the only choice for doctors who deliver babies who are good--I'm sure there are other doctors out there in HK who are recommendable for all aspects of care (medical + bedside manner)--I've even been recommended some by other foreign friends when I was pregnant. But, in the public system--you don't get to choose your doctor so it's probably a different situation all together.

HappyV is offline Registered User

You'll find just as many Dr Lord fans as you will detractors. I've never had any issues with her bedside manner. She's always been incredibly reassuring with me, taking the time to over different risks involved in treatments and birth options.

I'm not interested in comapring what goes on elsewhere - I'm interested in what goes on here in HK: what is good, what is terrible and ways to make it better.

One of the arguments the nurses her use about adjusting your own bed is that it gets you up and moving - and any clinical data will tell you that the sooner you can get up and move around the better. The problem comes when the nurse WON'T help you when you really need it. And that's just one, fairly easy example.

For example, I was not allowed off my back for 24 hours after birth due to a bleeding disorder, which was well documented. The nurses told me to just 'lean over' and pick up the baby - 8 hours after a general aneasthetic, with multiple IVs in both hands, it simply wasn;t possible. Even if I could 'reach' (which I couldn't - pain!!) the IV cords wouldn't alow the needed length. The night nurse got realy grumpy with me. That's simply not on. I had to call out to her, becasue I didn't have a call button. What am I meant to do - lket the baby cry? NOt feed him? Disobey doctors orders to not get up? Pull out the IV? Just a ridiculous situation made worse by the attitude of the staff.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567