Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby food allergy

isaboo is offline Registered User

Baby food allergy

Hi,

I was wondering if I can get some advice on babies and solid food.

I tried feeding my 7-month-old plain congee a few times already on and off... the first time he got diarrhea around an hour after he ate congee. I waited for a few days before i gave it to him again and he still got mild diarrhea..... and recently i tried again. He was ok for three days... then on the fourth day he got really mild diarrhea again. I'm just wondering if this is a food allergy or is he just taking more time than others to get used the food. I fed him rice cereal before and he was ok ... I'm just a bit puzzled why he can eat rice cereal and not congee.
    HELP!

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Hello, can I ask a couple of questions to help answer.

Firstly is this the first solid food after eating rice cereal, and he hasnt eaten any other solid food?

Secondly is he breast fed or formula fed?

The reason I ask is that breast fed babies and formula babies can have quite different poo in the first place, before they even start on solids. Breast fed is more liquid, formula babies poo more solid. Then once solids are intoduced everything changes again. Is it definately diarreah?

If you have a well baby appointment soon you may want to ask advice.

isaboo is offline Registered User

Thanks for your reply mel_g20! Actually my baby has eaten green peas and carrots without problem. its only when it comes to plain congee when he gets this diarrhea like poop. He's formula fed mainly so his poop shouldn't be THAT liquid. I've already talked to his dr and he just told me to take a break and try again after his poop is back to normal. Some people have told me to just feed him congee for one meal and not milk first then a bit of congee to help lessen the burden on his digestive system... but i have yet to try that . Maybe I just need to wait half an hour after his milk feed before feeding him congee ... I guess I'll have to experiment. The first time he ate congee his poop was really liquid like... but the 3rd time it was just VERY mild.