Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfeeding

MandyF is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding

Is it just me or is anyone else nervous about breastfeeding in public when your new bubba comes along?

MaggieS is offline Registered User

I am SO nervous!! I have actually bought a breastfeeding cover that a friend of mine recommended from www.********hughug.com.au
    I've seen my friend use hers and it looks pretty good, easy to use and lightweight.

Gumboots is offline Registered User

Hi

I can tell you not to worry about bfeeding in public - but you still will... at least until you've done it a couple of times!

The first time is stressful - take your mum or a close friend so you feel supported.

The second time is less stressful.

And eventually, you won't care when or where you feed your baby so long as bubs is happy ;)

I've heard a lot of things about people in HK being negative about bfeeding. I'm sure some people are - but personally, I've never had anyone say anything or even look at me funny.

The comment I normally get happens when my boy appears from under the cover - lots of "ooohh... Baby!! Hello Baby!!"

I use a cover because it makes me feel more comfortable - but its a personal choice and you should decide what suits you.

Starbucks and PCC are great places to feed - lots of room, comfortable chairs and no-one hassles you.

Best of luck!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

La Leche League ? Hong Kong has gatherings we call Tea Breaks in various coffee shops around Hong Kong.
    (I know the name is confusing but we used to meet in a tea house but the coffee shops have more comfortable chairs!)

We hope the Tea Breaks will encourage new mothers to get out and about with their breastfeeding baby. You can be sure of a supportive environment if you are breastfeeding in public for the first time. And for all of us, it?s a chance to catch up with some like-minded mothers.

Details of our Tea Breaks and other gatherings are at http://www.lllhk.org/Meetings.html

You are all welcome to join us. The article Why La Leche League by Diane Wiessinger, http://www.lalecheleague.org.nz/arti...che_league.htm, explains why LLL gathers can be helpful when you are breastfeeding.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

capital is offline Banned

It is hard the first few times, when your baby is still little and you need to see what you are doing, but as they get older and you are more comfortable latching quickly it is easy. I find in HK I just fed whereever I was becasue there aren't that nmany BF rooms, and when there are for some bizarre reason there will be random oeople sleeping in there or sitting in there, people alone with no chidlren!! In Canada I tended to go to nursing rooms. I have not really had any negative expereinces BF in HK, other than one time 2 very old men stared at me in Mc Donalds, but I didn't let it bothered me, I fugured they had probably never seen anyuone BF before. The people most bothered by my BF in public were my MIL and husband, always trying to keep me covered up, but I didn't really care that they were bothered, and did what I had to do, in fact I didn't really care that I was covered and did so only for them. When I was by myself, I didn't use a cover, I could never really get the hang of it, it was always in the way.

Dink is offline Registered User

Are there any breastfeeders out there using a cover they would actually recommend? I know I will be embarassed about feeding baby in public, though there's not much choice I guess, so a cover might be a good idea. they look a bit of a faff though so any actually useful ones you could reccommend?

Koan is offline Registered User

Like Gumboots, I was really nervous to BF in public. The first time I knew I would have to, I went with my mother and husband. After that I felt pretty empowered and never thought twice about it again. I feed my 10mnth old son wherever I am. I have had my fair share of strange looks and even a few comments, but it doesn't bother me too much, I can't really understand what people say anyway!

And really, would people prefer that my son scream, or BF?

capital is offline Banned

I never had one of these, but if I were to need one again I would get this kind because it has the boning in it so you can still see what you are doing, and the fabrics are nice

http://shop.bebeaulait.com/nc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast