Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting used to being carried before sleeping?

AndreaY is offline Registered User

Mine threw up on the 1st night of CIO, but it does not mean that she is not "suitable" for CIO. We just quietly changed her sheets and clothing and put her back to sleep again, without making a fuss. This was also envisaged in the Dr. Ferber book, so we were prepared. It took her 4 nights and she went back to sleeping thru the night.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread126637.html

Here's recent thread on sleep training with lots of different schools of thought, website, advice and results.

southside852 is offline Registered User

yes, it's not a good habit for your baby's sleep habit. the best way is CIO and to put her into her cot completely awake so she can learn how to put HERSELF to sleep without any aids. It seems like tough love the first few nights, but stick with it. Your baby will thank you!

mosmom is offline Registered User

to my knowledge, even ferber recommended the CIO method no earlier than 1 year.. but that's slightly OT.

putput
    i started to keep my baby less and less time in my arms. that means, if e.g. at the beginning, i had to hold her for 30mins, i cut down to 25mins first, then gradually less and less, until she got used to it veeeery slowly.
    you may read elisabeth pantley's "the no-cry sleep solution" for further guidelines :) i didn't follow pantley's guidelines step by step, but her ideas confirmed to me that i was on the right path (again, for MY baby; every child is different!).
    now, apart from when she's teething, she sleeps well. that means she goes to bed at 9pm and wakes up at 8am. inbetween, she usually wakes 1-2x coz she'll have lost her pacifier. i'm content with this and since i've seen progress, i'm sure it'll be even better in a few months' time.
    good luck to you, too!!

putput is offline Registered User

mosmom,

So what do you do when your baby is teething? Do you end up going back to square one? I ask as my girl is teething so I'm not sure whether to continue with the program or wait till she's done. But then she won't be done till about the age of 2!!!! I'm so worn out!!!

mosmom is offline Registered User

putput
    hmmm, she had a phase of teething recently that lasted about 2-3 weeks, including occasional fever.. she woke up in the middle of the night and i (or hubby) had to hold her for 2-3 hours :( however, 6 (!) teeth were on the way.
    i just KNOW that, for my baby, when the temperature in the room is okay, when she's comfortable in her bed (enough space!), when she's not teething or sick, etc., she really is able to sleep through the night (and "sleeping through the night" means around 6 hours for a little one, not actually 12 hours or so).
    i understand that you're worn out, but you have no choice but to try new methods and figure out what works best for you guys. i'm a no CIO mom, so i wouldn't go that way, even though it's tough, but that's a decision you better make for yourself.
    sorry that i can't offer you a miracle solution. take care!!

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Just a quick update,
    I did some reserach and decided to try CIO. So, I tried CIO on my baby ONCE in the afternoon, she cried for 30-40mins on and off really loudly and there was no way she looked like she was going to sleep. After, I came in and finally carried her and almost cried myself, the poor girl was so tired from all the crying and she fell asleep in less than 5mins....my gut /maternal instinct tells me this method does not work for my girl and I stopped.
    The next 2 days she suffered a hoarse voice from all that crying. I did more research and found out that ignoring baby cries has the reverse effect of them crying even more for some. And one should carry the baby as soon as they cry ( within 5 mins) to make them feel secure and confident.
    True enough, I tried that out these days that once she crys, I pick her up and soothe her and she tends to cry less and also seems to sleep better and longer stretch. And when she wakes up now, she usually don't cry and will talk to herself or just quietly look at things or even smiles! ( if she is not hungry) :) previously she will cry once awake!

I just want to share that if anyone should want to try CIO, please do it after 5months as well...

Below is some extract from what docs says:
    "Some newborn babies don't like to be put down ever and cry the moment they leave their mother's arms, others are fine from day one," says Lyuba Konopasek, assistant professor of pediatrics a the New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City. In general, Konopasek says, a baby who is younger than 5 months old should not be left alone to cry for more than five minutes, at which point you need to pick him up and try to comfort him.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

more...

Hug, touch, smile, encourage, listen to, and play with your little one whenever you can. It's also important to answer his cries immediately, especially in the first six months or so, when experts say it's impossible to spoil a child. In fact, responding to your baby when he's upset (as well as when he's happy) helps you build trust and a strong emotional bond, according to Zero to Three, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of infants, toddlers, and families.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12