Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Playgroup location

blackxima is offline Registered User

Thank you for the insights. Yes, I do realize that getting the good playgroup going will be very expensive and tough work. I was a supervisor at a playgroup centre in Canada (which is free to people as those centres are gov. funded and regulated - that makes it a bit different from here) and have a good experience on it. I also have extensive training and background on those areas as well. It was just unfortunate that I had to leave the job to move to HK. I was hoping to get something going on here and thought to start some research on it. Your comments are very helpful and i would definitely consider what moms in Hk has to say, so keep on posting please!!

Thanks a lot :)

MLBW Guest

I guess I didn't realize that you were actually trying to form a for-profit, formal playgroup. Where I am from very rarely do people pay for their children to be part of a playgroup. Every church and civic center worth their salt offers quality playgroup programs. In my small city (less than 200,000 people) I literally had a playgroup or free-of-charge activity lined up for my son every day of the week and there were still groups we couldn't fit in. And then most SAHM have their own sets of informal playgroups that meet in their homes. Is there anything like this going on in HK?

carang is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBW View Post
    I guess I didn't realize that you were actually trying to form a for-profit, formal playgroup. Where I am from very rarely do people pay for their children to be part of a playgroup. Every church and civic center worth their salt offers quality playgroup programs. In my small city (less than 200,000 people) I literally had a playgroup or free-of-charge activity lined up for my son every day of the week and there were still groups we couldn't fit in. And then most SAHM have their own sets of informal playgroups that meet in their homes. Is there anything like this going on in HK?
    there are some mums that get together of course, however in hk, where space is at a premium, it is unlikely that you will find such things as "free" playgroups. it is impossible for someone to start one and not charge, as i mentioned the costs can be staggering even before rent is paid. you need to find someplace where you feel comfortable and where you believe the best interests of you and your child are actually cared about.

good luck!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    there are some mums that get together of course, however in hk, where space is at a premium, it is unlikely that you will find such things as "free" playgroups. it is impossible for someone to start one and not charge, as i mentioned the costs can be staggering even before rent is paid. you need to find someplace where you feel comfortable and where you believe the best interests of you and your child are actually cared about.

good luck!
    I do know of at least one large international church here that has a weekly playgroup but haven't heard of too many others. Well, for me personally, it feels sad that there aren't more free playgroups available if indeed that is the case. Who ever thought that child's play would develop into an expensive luxury...well, maybe in HK. Thanks for your info.

mlbw...

although, mine is a "for-profit" as you stated, i don't make much profit, i funnel what is left over after paying staff, rent, etc. back into supplies/toys/books etc.

there are some out there that do pack as many kids into a class as they can possibly fit and rarely add new toys/books etc.

there are some of us out there that do it for the love of being around the kids and be able to earn a living doing it.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    mlbw...

although, mine is a "for-profit" as you stated, i don't make much profit, i funnel what is left over after paying staff, rent, etc. back into supplies/toys/books etc.

there are some out there that do pack as many kids into a class as they can possibly fit and rarely add new toys/books etc.

there are some of us out there that do it for the love of being around the kids and be able to earn a living doing it.
    Oh, I didn't mean that it was wrong for you to run a playgroup and make profit from it--if that's your livelihood and you like it, that is really great, I think. Like any other business--there are bound to be differences in quality between different places, right. At any rate, my personal internal reaction is that I just feel it's a sad state when the only places available for children to have friends and play cost money--to me that just sort of goes against my own upbringing and what I think is right. It's kind of the principle that I have a problem with--not the actual fact that people run for-profit playgroups. It's just another personal issue I have with the way things are. :0)

i agree with you... as a mother, myself, i think that it's really sad that there are so few places around hong kong for kids...

if i had the money, i'd set up a place that would be like a HUGE jungle-gym/climbing frame with slides etc.,similar to what the y have in jumping gym, but on a MUCH larger scale. a place where kids could go in the winter where it would be warm and in the summer where it would be cool...

the problem is that i'd need millions of dollars in order to get it going.....

ps> no offence was taken, no worries!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast