Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Paperwork for hiring a helper already in HK and is finishing her contract

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Paperwork for hiring a helper already in HK and is finishing her contract

Hi all..
    need some advice on what to do... my current helper, who was hired through an agency and is not working out. I've spoken to a rep from the agency and they've said all I need to do is send her back to the agency. I will be hiring a new helper, not from the agency, I met her from my friend and her contract with her current family is ending in January.
    I will be completing the paperwork myself, what do I need to do?
    The new helper mentioned that I needed to go to the Phillipines Consulate first??? is that right? Or do I just submit all the docs to HK immigration???
    Current helper will stop working on Jan 9, and new helper will start Jan 20.

Has anyone gone through this before?

Thanks!

~Theresa~

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi Theresa

From what I understand the agency I use are willing to help with paperwork even if the helper is not from them.

They just charge you a fee for it.

I think thats alot easier and save you the hazzle.

Thanks jaz1311, I will try calling the agency as well to see if they are nice enough to help me...and hopefully will only charge a small fee.
    =)

Still would like some advice if others have gone through this before.
    Thanks!

~Theresa~

Paddles is offline Registered User

Katelyn - it's pretty straight forward, I did it with my helper. She should be able to do it for you. You just need 4 copies of the contract and to submit passport / ID, financial documents, proof of address and the fee. My helper took it all down to the Phillippine consulate so she could get her approval and then to immigration to get the visa approval. She just went twice - once to submit and once to collect the visa - and apart from the fact she had to sit and wait for ages it wasn't a complicated procedure. In fact I think it was quicker doing it ourselves than going through an agency. If I remember correctly it took a week from when she submitted the forms to when she got the approval.

Thanks paddles
    Do they recieve the approval from the consulate the same visit and then can bring it to the Hk immigration right away?

Do you think it's okay to give our helper my husband's proof of income? I did not want her to know too much of our finances.
    How should I do this so helped can bring docs but also avoid her knowing our stuff.

Thanks

~Theresa~

rani is offline Administrator

We just renewed our helper's contract last month. She took the papers to the consulate on a Sunday, and it took 3 or 4 days to process. When she picked it up she took it straight to immigration. Immigration normally takes 2-6 weeks when you're changing employers. For renewals its the same day.

Most people put the proof of income in a sealed envelope addressed to the Director of Immigration. Obviously there's no guarantee she's not going to open it.

mamaS is offline Registered User

I agree with Rani's comment. Let the helper process it herself. It takes 3 times for her to go back and forth. Easy and faster than going thru an agency and paying their fee. She should know what to do.

Thanks everyone!
    My new helper will be processing it herself.
    I'm going to trust that the helper will not open the sealed envelope.
    =)

~Theresa~