Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1st pregnancy - Anxious!

Marufa is offline Registered User

1st pregnancy - Anxious!

The doctor just confirmed that I am pregnant. In a while, I am due for my antenatal checkups.

What really worries me is that this is my first pregnancy in Hong kong. I have an ID card, even though I am a foreigner. My husband is a parmanent card holder. We wanted to have our first baby in Queen Mary Hospital since we know others who have had their babies there. But, since we live in Tung Chung, we have been referred to go to Princess Margaret Hospital for the delivery.

Now, what bothers me is that I havent heard of Princess Margaret hospital before. Can anyone recommend this hospital for good doctors, medical services, etc. In an earlier thread, I read that the nurses treat the patients very carelessly, especially if they are not local. Is that true? Since this is going to be our first baby, we are really anxious.

Also, if we would wish to opt for a c-section, is it possible to do so in Princess Margaret hospital? If not, what are the costs that can be incurred in a private hospital?

Please advice!

carang is offline Registered User

if you are going to a public hospital using the ultra-cheap services (as you are entitled to with a HKID card, regardless of whether you are a foreigner or not) you DO NOT get to choose your doctors.

if you want the "luxury" of choosing your doctor you need to go through the private system and pay through the nose for it!

in the public system you cannot "choose" to have a c-section... they will only perform them for medical reasons.

i have had two c-sections, although at QMH. one was an emergency and the second was an "elective" only in that due to my VERY complicated medical problems we/they chose to perform it rather than wait for another emergency to happen.

if you want to choose a c-section, you also need to go through the private system.

good luck and relax! it isn't as bad as you think!

Sue&Safia is offline Registered User

Sounds a bit like the UK!

My recommendation would be to go and visit the hospital if you can (if they have ante natal classes there it might help or is there an external ante natal group you can join?)

Also think carefully before you opt for a C section. I'm not an "earth mother" type but I have seen the difference on a general ward where mothers had had a C section and other hadn't (including me) - the mothers who had a C section had problems picking up their baby which you don't generally get with a vaginal birth.

I wish you lots of luck.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

I live in TC and I gave birth to my 1st at PMH by way of C section of of breech position. I find the entirely staying there very acceptable although the nurses are overworked but they are very supportive whenever they have a minute with u. Go visit yourself and have questions in hand to ask. I did as everyone there so I have no question at all to ask and I don't mind things too much. More so I saved a big big buck - paid only $600 for EVERYTHING!

HappyV is offline Registered User

PMH is fine - the level of English was above acceptable, and the medical care just as good as what you would get at QMH. (I delivered at QMH due to high risks, but ended up at PMH in early labout at 33 weeks, which they managed to stop). I met two doctors there who were educated in Australia and the UK. I wouldn;t have a problem going there..........

Marufa is offline Registered User

Thanks so much ladies. I feel much better already. I am terrified of normal delivery and was hoping a c-section would be quicker and painless during the birthing process. My sister opted for a c-section and though she was taken care of by my mother afterwards and took a longer time to heal, she was comfortable with it. I have heard others who have had stitches too after normal delivery and they say c-section is better since having stitches on tummy is better.

All in all, i just want to have a healthy baby by the grace of God. However, there is one more thing I am confused about. Is the antenatal checkup done at PMH too? I was told to have it done at a local clinic. I am scheduled for my antenatal checkup at FuTung clinic at Tung Chung. Is that the norm?

solidstars is offline Registered User

i'm a first time upcoming mom too! i'm going to have mine at 'french' hospital, can't recall english name. it's on kowloon side. private and will probably cost an arm and leg (around 45k?). starting to regret having paid deposit now can't back out and find a public hospital!

i'm terrified of needles/stitches so am opting for 'normal' delivery, bring on the pain! *fingers crossed* Have definitely heard that c-section takes way longer to heal though.

carang is offline Registered User

marufa, yes, it is perfectly normal to have your check-ups at the clinic. if there are any problems, THEN you have the check-ups at the hospital itself.

you're lucky... i've had all of my check-ups at the hospital (QMH) over two pregnancies... plus been hospitalised 13 times...plus check-ups every 2-4 weeks for the entire pregnancy.

if there are any problems or concerns, the nurses/doctors will let you know.

now... relax! worrying so much isn't good for the baby, LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast