Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby sitting position at 13 months

rdbalaji is offline Registered User

Baby sitting position at 13 months

Hi

My son is 13 months old and always like to sit in the 'W' position (like the muslims sit while praying) instead of the normal cross legs we adults sit on the floor. is this a problem?

Cheers
    Balaji

mscheerful is offline Registered User

i definitely would not expect my 13 months to sit cross legs like we the adults sit! My son, along with his playmates, loves to sit the position of you son even at 22 months to play with thier toys toys or read thier books or in playgroup. IT never come across my mind that this is a problem at all so to me, it is pretty normal for a child to sit in this position.

rdbalaji is offline Registered User

Thanks for the reply, when do you think we should really be start getting concerned about their postures as i read in an article which says that if the child doesnt sit cross legs there could be some problems in the future...

Cheers
    Balaji

sherwes is offline Registered User

My son is 13 months old and I have never seen him sit cross legged. I have never seen other children of that age sit crossed legged either. I have read a lot of books on baby and child development and never seen anything about this issue mentioned. I wouldn't give it another thought, unless there is some other specific reason that you think that your baby has unusual posture.

Matty is offline Registered User

It can be almost impossible to change the way a 13 mth old sits. I've tried!
    My son is 2 and has always prefered the w position.
    Though now that he is older, whenever I see him sitting that way, I encourage him to sit cross -legged like mummy.
    Gradually he is sitting less in the w.

If they do continue sitting that way it can became a problem. I have a niece whose feet are way out of alignment which is affecting her walking, which has meant some physio to help correct it.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

in the UK our baby yoga teacher commented on my 1yr old sitting in the W position. she acknowledged that it is difficult to stop them sitting like that but said when they are sitting in that position to try and ensure the feet are tucked back - almost pointed if you know what i mean - rather than flexed.... if she ever told me why i can't remember now (brain is useless i'm afraid)