Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfeeding law

samanlee is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding law

Is there a breast feeding law in Hong Kong?
    We will be visiting Hong Kong and like to know how discreetly breast feeding in public ( ie restaurants or malls) is socially handled.
    Any advise on which places our breast feeding friendly?
    Thanks

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Though Hong Kong is with the times in many aspects, unfortunately we are still quite conservative when it somes to breastfeeding in public. There are two malls - IFC and Pacific Place that have diaper changing places that have a small seating area for you to breast feed in private. I think though that those might be the only two malls (at least on the HK side) who have such facilities, I'm thinking Elements (on the Kowloon side) might have something too, since it is a new mall

I rarely see people breastfeeding in public, I don't think it's "unacceptable" it's just that I think the people here just don't feel comfortable enough to do it, and also some just prefer to express and bottle feed when they are out. Hope this helps! Hope you have a good time in Hong Kong!

carang is offline Registered User

the locals are VERY shy when it comes to breastfeeding, but you shouldn't have much trouble. i breastfed two babies in hk without any problems at all.

the best places to bf are in the starbuck's and the pacific coffees as they have nice comfy chairs. some large posh-er shopping centres have parents' rooms or baby rooms available.

rani is offline Administrator

Here's a list of places to change and breastfeed baby

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby...-in-hong-kong/

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

I haven't seen anyone BF in HK, but personally I have BF wherever I have been out and about in HK, wherever I can find a place to sit down. Some malls have paretn rooms but they are hard to find and sometimes people will be sleeping in them (adults without any chidlren!) so it is easier to just BF whereever you happen to been rather than trying to find a special parent room.

Matty is offline Registered User

Wow, this thread makes it sound like BFing in HK is horrible!

You are in fact legally entitled to BF in public here. But as other posters have said, Chinese people seem to be shy about it.

I've never had any problems and still regularly BF my 6 month old in public.
    I find Starbucks, Pacific Coffee, hotel lobbies, to be very comfortable. And there are plenty of them around.
    Don't feel pressured to cover up either. I don't, and I've found that most people don't even give you a second glance.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Same for me, I never looked for any room when I needed to BF... if you do it discretly, you can sit in any place/coffee/lounge/lobbies, so did all my breastfeeding friends.

MLBW Guest

I thought I would add one funny thing I saw in HK to this thread. One time my husband and I were at the immigration building in Wan Chai. I was waiting to get approved for my HK I.D. card. The couple in front of us were being interviewed by the immigration officer. A mixed couple--he was caucasion and she was of Chinese descent. Their son was probably at least 2 because he was walking and talking quite well. Well, they are having their interview with the officer at his booth and in the middle of the interview, the child comes up to the mom, tugs on her shirt, and she lifts up her shirt to shoulder level (pretty much flashing the officer), unhooks her nursing bra and proceeds to breastfeed with her son standing on the floor in front of her. From behind I could see 3/4 of her back as well as the back of her bra. The officer? He just smiled and kept on with the interview. So...if he didn't have a problem with very indiscrete breastfeeding, I'm sure you can manage here in HK. Just thought I'd add that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast