Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

stupid question but wife wants me to confirm

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

What's happens to your placenta?

I also wanted to take home the placenta following the birth of my son's (in 2005 and 2007). I had to meet with the Head Midwife at QMH and put my request into writing. Before both births she agreed in principle. In the hospital bag I packed a tupperware box for my husband to take it home in.

Both births took their own direction (not to the birth plan), as do all births! So in the end due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to take either of them home. (Both boys are well and healthy and that of course was the most important thing).

Anyway the point of this rambling is, that when meeting with the Head Midwife on both occasions she said to me that in the "past" (did not specify how many years ago). That placenta's were indeed sold for traditional chinese medicine. Of course now days they are disposed of a clinical waste. In the UK this is usually incineration.

MLBW Guest

Jo Bowd--wow, that's interesting. I think that you probably have the most practical experience with this situation. And as you did mention it's not that unfathomable that placenta's were used in the past--not necessarily "third world"--just different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12