Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Landlord selling the flat - Please Help

VanillaCafe is offline Registered User

Landlord selling the flat - Please Help

Our landlord just informed us that he is putting the flat on market. It shouldn't be difficult to find another place, but our problem is, we might leave Hong Kong in a few months. If we need to move to a new flat (we are a big family with young children), where can we find a decent-size one that offers flexible terms?

I'd prefer to stay in our current complex to minimize disruption. The only type of contract I'm aware of is so-called "one year fixed, one year flexible", which requires you to pay a penalty of 2-month rent if you need to terminate the contract within one year. Are there any other types of contract I should try to negotiate? How flexible are the landlords in Hong Kong?

rani is offline Administrator

Most flats are sold with the tenancy agreement and you may not have to move out. More info here:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread26205.html

carang is offline Registered User

i was going to say... if you are still in the midst of an agreement, he CANNOT make you move UNLESS due to financial reasons, he will be moving into the flat himself.

you should be able to stay exactly where you are, however, you may have the inconvenience of having people come to view the flat while he's trying to sell it.

sunniefaith is offline Registered User

Our former place was sold with us in it. And our new landlords were pretty nice people as well. But don't stress over it. For the whole process to complete, it'll probably take more than 6 months. The only thing that you have to be aware of is the people coming in and out for viewing. But as the tenant, you have the right to say no.

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Unless he has a buyer already or is selling very cheap, your landlord may not sell so quickly (nor before your departure). I would hang on in there. Also, any "quick sale" in HK would usually take around 2 months to complete.

Also, if you let them know that you are leaving HK anyway - you could also ask him to negotiate a 'completion' date with the new buyer to suit all of you...

VanillaCafe is offline Registered User

Many thanks for your replies!