Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What do we need when terminating helper?

fennho is offline Registered User

What do we need when terminating helper?

hi there

apart from the 1month in lieu pay we need to pay, what else do we need to prepare? I know we also need to give her a termination letter, but do we also need to give them the airticket (she's from Indo) on top of the one month in lieu pay? Do we just tell her on the termination day, let her pack and go off or do we need to send her back to the agency where we hired her from? Another question, does another have any termination letter template? What does it need to specify?

Sorry one last question, if we find a helper we like, and would like to sign a contract with her on the spot, can we draft one ourselves? Anyone have any template as well?

Thanks!!

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

You have to pay a one-way airticket back to her country on top of the one month's salary. Also, you have to pay her HK$100 passage to get her from the airport of her country back to wherever she lives (if I remember correctly). Whether she goes back to the agency or not isn't your concern anymore after you fire her.

With the new helper, I suppose you could draft a contract just between you and her but of course it's not bound by law. Are you drafting this contract to make sure she doesn't find another employer in the meantime?

Smiles is offline Registered User

What do most people do when you fire your helper?
    Are you able to ask them to leave the same day and give them money for a boarding house? (are there any other legal obligations apart from months pay, return ticket and notifiying immigration?)

Paddles is offline Registered User

You can ask them to leave the same day as long as you pay them a month's notice, but you're not required to pay money for their boarding house. Just make sure you get them to sign to say they received all money owing.