Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Peanuts vs. Peanut Butter

plumtree is offline Registered User

Interestingly, we gave our 13 and a half month old the smooth type and he wasn't so keen, but he really went for the chunky type and has it every day for breakfast now, thickly spread on bread or toast. His dad loves peanut butter and has been putting it into bub's mouth from when he was 10 months old (without telling me)...but then again, none of us suffer from allergies, so we're just lucky.

tstmum is offline Registered User

I was cautious with certain foods that are the most likely to cause allergic reaction - shellfish, eggs, peanuts, etc. And it was fortunate I was if you read my post above. Obviously most people will not have this type of reaction, but it is important to recognise the signs and know what to do if it does occur. One of the advantages of waiting until children are a bit older also is that they can communicate better that they are not feeling well, they are itchy, it's hard to breathe, etc. Sorry if I sound pedantic about all this, but I am so nervous now at the sight of peanuts/peanut butter when my child is near (even though I love them myself).

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

Since there are no nut allergy history in either of our families, we gave our son peanut butter at 16mths. he didn't have any reactions to it so we will occasionally mix some into his oatmeal for breakfast - he doesn't really like sandwiches. We haven't given whole nuts yet (he is 2 now) but we do grind up pumpkin and sunflower seeds to add to his yoghurt/oatmeal and haven't had any issues. I suppose I could grind up whole nuts too but just haven't done that yet...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12