Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Moving in 1wk from US- Live in Happy Valley or Causeway Bay?

solidstars is offline Registered User

happy valley is definitely more livable. CWB will just drive you nuts after a while.

aren't medication cheaper in hk compared to the states? (reading other posts)... i know vitamins are definitely cheaper in the states though, we always get people to bring them over from there.

carang is offline Registered User

the thing about medicines is that you can't always find what you are looking for.

i, personally, find the cold & flu medicines here to be useless. but stuff from overseas seem to help my stuffy nose etc.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

I agree with carang. The allergy medicine is also pretty useless here and I regret not bringing more of my normal stuff from Australia with us.

It isn't about cost, it is about the choice available here. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find equivalents (and not for lack of trying).

mamaoc is offline Registered User

Hi. Can't disagree with anyone about preference of HV over CWB. We have stayed in both areas short term, and we find HV is much nicer for mums and kids, and you will meet plenty of lovely people at the park/indoor play centre.

We are currently in The Ellipsis serviced apartments (only temporarily) which is right across from the racecourse and very convenient to play centre, park, shops, and downtown HV. They do have washers and dryers downstairs, and there is a laundry service across the road too! There is also a pool which is open over the warmer months http://www.ellipsis.com.hk

We have two kids and find its a good spot for them. The only downside is that the kitchen is pretty small, and yep no oven, if that's what you are looking for. Good luck!

twinsmum is offline Registered User

like someone said - I would not live in either if i had a choice - is there any way you could ask for another location? Also, if you have a serviced appartment i would be pretty surprised if it did not come with an oven and a dryer - i would not worry about that... but if you have to choose between the two areas only - NOT Causeway bay - does not strike me as a nice place to live at all! Happy Valley is much more residential...

ABC(D)inHK is offline Registered User

Where would you suggest to live? I have two youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmum View Post
    like someone said - I would not live in either if i had a choice - is there any way you could ask for another location? Also, if you have a serviced appartment i would be pretty surprised if it did not come with an oven and a dryer - i would not worry about that... but if you have to choose between the two areas only - NOT Causeway bay - does not strike me as a nice place to live at all! Happy Valley is much more residential...
    twinsmum: Where would you suggest to live? I have two youngsters.

carang is offline Registered User

budget?
    requirements?
    ages of the kids?
    size?
    amenities?
    schools?

we need a little more information before anyone can recommend a place to live.

mommabear is offline Registered User

playgrounds near happy valley 88?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
    You can walk to Causeway Bay from Happy Valley. We stayed there when we first arrived, and I did it repeatedly. However, you can also take the tram, or a bus, or even a minibus.
    The downside to Causeway Bay is that you would effectively be living IN the middle of a business district. If you intend to buy a car at some point, it will be hard to find an apartment with parking in Causeway Bay. Having said that, if you want to be above the action of cars and people then it is the place to be.
    I like Happy Valley because it has a nice mix of western/chinese shops and people. You can get 'larger' apartments in Happy Valley... but unless you are willing to spend $$ or move out to somewhere like new territories, remember that space is at a premium on HK Island.
    There are also a couple of good outdoor playgrounds plus the (free) indoor playground in Happy Valley. Everyone I've met who lives in Happy Valley seem to enjoy their location (unless they are in a steep area).
    One thing to keep in mind when apartment hunting is kitchens can be quite different here. If the numerous places we looked at, only two had an oven... so if you like cooking, you may want to keep than in mind.
    I live up in Jardine's Lookout, and while it is green, I feel somewhat isolated because to do something trivial like go to the grocery store I have to either climb a steep hill (which would be fine if i didn't have 2 kids, a stroller, and in summer you had to contend with the heat and humidity), catch a minibus to Causeway Bay (again an interesting challenge with a stroller) or drive.
    Your serviced apartment SHOULD come with a washing machine, but dryer is not as common. As was said, most people hang their washing. When you get your apartment, if it has no washer, you can get a washer/dryer combined machine, but do your research as not all of them work well. We have a whirlpool one which is pretty good.
    Good luck with your move, and once you're ready, feel free to join us for a mothers group meeting in Happy Valley sometime. :)
    hi! we are coming to hk in march , with our 2 year old toddler, and we are either looking at kornhill or happy valley 88. it is interesting to read that there is a couple of good outdoor playground and free indoor one in HV. May I know where is it located from HV 88? Easy walk?

I have another question I am bursting to ask. I heard it is rainy season from apr-may. anyone knows how bad / frequent the rains are?

any advice or comments will be gratefully received! :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast