Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

baby awakes a few times during the night

LeahH is offline Registered User

I agree with everyone above, your bub is very young for a schedule - but some do have success with Gina Ford style training. We did a bit of this (our own version, nothing strict) from around two weeks.

Re. white noise, you can also try putting the stereo on to radio and tuning it off a station - our 18 month old still goes to sleep to this as it helps drown out any outside noise.

I did focus on keeping mine awake for short periods after day time feeding, unwrapping like dimsum mum says (but mostly dancing around singing like an idiot..). We also hung black and white photos of family members and the dog from the arches of her play rug. Young babies like black and white very simple imagery and the photos of familiar faces are especially stimulating. Night feeds were kept very low key so as to differentiate.

Maybe try a consistent room / bed for naps and night time for a few days? E.g. moses basket in your room in total darkness.

samy-hk is offline Registered User

Hi everybody,
    my baby is almost 10 months old and she still can't have a deep sleep during the night, every 2-3 hours she wakes up to be fed. it's very tiring, from born to now, i can't have a more than 2 hours consecutively sleep at night....

anniese is offline Registered User

samy-hk,
    Same as me, my baby is 9 months old now, she wakes up 3 to 4 times every night, dunno if she feels hungry easily because of breastfeeding.

megan2008 is offline Registered User

samy-hk, I am so sorry for you. Are you sure that your baby is hungry? I've read that most babies, by nine months, should go the whole night without feeding. My baby is 7 months and likes her milk but can go at least 10 hours without eating. She dropped her midnight feeding at around 3.5 months. Have you tried just trying to soothe your baby (without feeding) back to sleep?

southside852 is offline Registered User

samy-hk, it sounds like your baby is waking up just out of habit and not b/c she's hungry.

like megan2008 said, babies can sleep through the night starting around 6+ months. try not feeding her or letting her cry it out.

carolc is offline Registered User

hello,
    i'm having the exact same problem, except my 6mo old has recently (the past week) been waking up every 1-2 hours! i'm not sure what's going on... he is usually in bed by 7 and used to only wake up 1-2 per night for feedings. any ideas as to why he's waking up so often?

also- do babies have memory? we did CIO with him a few weeks ago unsuccessfully...he cried for 4 hours before falling asleep, to waking up 2 hours later b/c he was thirsty/hungry and continued to cry for another 2 hours before i caved and rocked him to bed...

i've tried to think of everything- nothing new in his room, temperature, feeding him more solids, feeding him less solids, pushing forward/backward his bedtime...

has anyone gone through this? is it just a "phase"? will it pass?

thanks!

putput is offline Registered User

Babies tend to have growth spurts at 6 months, I believe.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User

Carolc, 4 hours?? Did you keep a watch with you when you tried? Do you have a bedtime routine? How did you do the CIO? You know there are different ways..... We also let our baby cry but I went in every 5 minutes (I was outside his door with a watch) to make sure he was ok, stroked his back (he sleeps on his tummy so he was doing mini pushups while crying), ****ed him, wiped away his tears, made sure his nose wasn't blocked due to crying or had not vomited etc but did not pick him up. We also have a key phrase that we repeat while stroking him. He cried for 47 min. first night.

I don't think they remember, because I still get lovely smiles to die for and great excitement when we greet each other in the morning!

Background for doing this is that I was feeding him in the middle of the night 1-2 times. He just turned 5 months. I exclusively breast feed. There is a lot of conflicting information about when they do not need night feeds (including dream feed). He just did not wake up for his feed the first night of sleep training but the 3rd night, he woke up at 4am and cried for 8 min and went back to sleep and woke up at 7:15am ready for a full morning feed. I do wake him up for the dream feed though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast