Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No cry sleep solution

putput is offline Registered User

Hi babyc,

17 days is very young so I'm not sure this will work for her right now. She's used to being all snuggled up in mummy's womb so my guess is she needs comforting and security right now. If she's crying after her feed, it may be discomfort caused by gas. In our case, I found out that my daughter had reflux and so she used to cry from 6-11.30 every night and the pain was so bad I would have to hold her the whole time. I was so worn out but after a couple of months, her pain settled although the reflux continued till she was 7 months old. Sleep training is perhaps better when the child is a little older, some say 4 months, some say 6 months onwards. Can I suggest swaddling your baby and maybe putting your hand on her stomach rather than back to comfort her, if you decide not to hold her at night after feeds? If you decide to hold her, I guarantee you are not putting her in bad habits as she's too young for this to be a problem. My daughter is now 10 months old. I started when she was 8 months old. I did teach her to put herself to sleep when she was around 4 months by swaddling and patting her stomach but her reflux was such a problem for her that it would wake her up and to stop her from vomiting, i would have to pick her up. I then sleep trained again at 8 months. Hope this helps?

BabyC is offline Registered User

thanks putput

i decided to hold my baby during the night, as you said, she is only 17 days old and is too young to be sleep trained

i usually hold my baby for 20 mins and she will be asleep and i will put her back to the moses basket. she normally wakes up 3 times during the night.

geomum is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for your replies. Koan you are right she does sleep for 5-6 hrs at one go, so basically she is sleeping through the night. I think she might be waking up due to wet daiper, I change her diaper and she sleeps well afterwards. Do all babies need a daiper change at night? Putput I co-sleep with my daughter and she gets very loud and angry when I don't pick her up. And on other occassions she starts crawling on the bed and pats me to wake me up.... very funny, isn't it? She doesn't know how to put herself to sleep and I don't know how to teach her. Read this article today which was informative:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sle...7581.bc?page=1
    BabyC your baby needs all the cuddles you can give him at 17 days. He is too little to start sleep training.

She may be waking up due to wet diaper or it may be to get a little time with you. How do you put her back to sleep afterwards? I think, although it is harder, you may still be able to follow the same principles. Even if she gets angry and loud, you could tell her she has to sleep (I realised last night that my 10 month old now understands the word) and pat her or keep your hand close by but don't pick her up. Even if she crawls over to you and pats you (sounds so cute!) maybe don't pick her up but repeat 'it's sleep time' and pat/touch hand. She will protest as this is a change to what she's used to. She may cry as she's not getting the reaction she has come to expect but she's not getting hurt in anyway and you've fulfilled your wish not to have her crying in a room separate to yours. We co-slept till my daughter was 8 months old and then moved her into her own room only because I knew that my husband's snoring would make it very difficult for her to be able to learn to go back to sleep! The other thing I found is that my daughter woke up whenever I faced her, and even in the cot (when it was in our room) when I turned and faced her way she would wake up. I think it may have something to do with the smell of BM! If you do decide to follow this method, it'll take a while but hopefully it'll work if you're able to stay consistent and don't buckle under the pressure!! Easier said than done, I know!

Just remembered something I did when I sleep trained my daughter when we were co-sleeping. We were on holiday (she was 7months) and I was just experimenting in preparation for when we return so I could start formal sleep training. I would put her down and she would roll around. She would then start to get sleepy. Then she would make her way over to me and I would touch her hand. At some point she would get agitated so I would pick her up, cuddle her and when she was calm, put her straight back down next to me. This maybe happened 2-3 times maximum. Around 45 minutes later, she would fall asleep herself. Over time this will shorten. Now, I knew we would have to move her cot into another room and start training her all over again when we returned from our holiday but it gave me the confidence to know that she could put herself to sleep. I know I originally suggested not to pick her up but if you find this method works better for you and your daughter then you may want to do this instead. If you find that your daughter gets more agitated by being picked up and put back down then I suggest you don't pick her up at all. I hope this helps.

Koan is offline Registered User

Geomum, my son needs his diaper changed about 5 nights out of 7.

I cosleep too. If DS wakes up and wants milk he just rolls over and latches on. :lovedface

geomum is offline Registered User

Same with my daughter, she just latches on :) But what happens when we have to wean them?

Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    Geomum, my son needs his diaper changed about 5 nights out of 7.

I cosleep too. If DS wakes up and wants milk he just rolls over and latches on. :lovedface

Koan is offline Registered User

I don't have any plans to wean my son. He'll stop when he wants. For now I'm just cherishing every feeding; the little giggles, boobie pats and when he signs for milk then claps with excitement. Even if it means waking up 5x a night. *yawn*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12