Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tips for flying long haul with 3 months baby

snowy is offline Registered User

Tips for flying long haul with 3 months baby

Hi

I will be flying back to Canada with my 3 months old baby.
    I will be flying alone with 1 stop in Korea.
    I am concern about :-

1) How to bring hot & boiled water on board for his formula.
    2) How many bottles to bring with me ?
    3) How to prevent him from air sickness ?
    4) What things to bring on board other than clothes, Formula, diapers, wet tissue.

Any other tips/advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I can't help re the boiled water for formula but I think you will be allowed to take it on board without issue. Contact the airport or check out the website. Here is a link that will get you started: http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...-security.html

Regarding other items to take - take at least three extra sets of clothes (not body suits, pants and tops, socks jumpers as baby may only wet pants and it is a pain trying to take off a body suit just because the pants need changing!).

Airsickness I don't think will be an issue - I may be wrong I just haven't heard of a baby getting it...

I would include a dummy (or three) if you have them and maybe some play toys or books -- what do you currently use to distract baby?

Good luck, as a friend once said to me "plan for the worst" but I am sure you will have a pleasant trip.

megan2008 is offline Registered User

I flew to the states with my baby by myself and found that the bulk head seat was very useful. Also, try to get an empty seat beside you to put the baby in the carseat. My baby slept the whole trip! This something that she never did at home as she was pretty colicy. Also, the plane has extremly hot water that they can provide for you. Also, I brought a couple of bottles and cleaned them on the plane for reuse but took extra nipples so I wouldn't have to clean them. Good luck :)

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Just work out how many feeds you normally give your baby during a similar time free and include a bottle for each of these plus a few extra. Having to wash bottles in the bathroom is not ideal although we've probably all had to do it at some point. I normally then get them to rinse out the bottles again with their hot water used for tea and coffee.

I try to avoid using their hot water as it is not fully boiled and have heard all sorts of stories about the quality of the water they give to people to drink on planes. To do this I always pack a thermos bag or thermos with absolutely boiling water. You can then fill your own bottles to a certain point with cooler water and add your own hot water as you need to make a bottle. As you are stopping in Korea I would use that as an opportunity to refill those bottles with boiling water as they cool down after 4 hours or so.

You should have no trouble bringing a can of formula through on the airplane. Baby food is exempt from any restrictions.

We've done a lot of flying and our children never fell ill so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Vegemite's advice on which clothes to pack is spot on.

A 3 month old should be a charm to travel with. The sound of the engine will probably lull your baby to sleep for most of the journey. It's when they get older that the real fun begins!

carang is offline Registered User

a 3 month old baby is VERY VERY VERY easy to travel with!
    (try a 20 month old and you'll know what i mean! LOL!)

1) just ask the flight attendant for water. solves the problem of carrying it with you. they have boiled water and bottled room temp.
    2) we took two bottles. we took those little formula dispensers that you fill with the correct amount of formula for each feeding. what i did was this: ask for boiled water as soon as you get on the plane. put the a little less than the correct amount into each bottle. that way, by the time you need it, it will be cooled down and you can just top it up. when you need it add the formula and if necessary, top it up with hot water. when the first bottle is empty, then ask the flight attendant to rise it with boiling water and fill to just less than correct for next feeding. for the next feeding, use bottle #2.
    3) never met a baby that got air sick... babies are used to being bounced around in your womb for 9 months.... shouldn't be a problem, besides it is likely baby will sleep most of the way anyway.
    4) DON'T FORGET a change of clothes for YOURSELF! what will you do if you get spit up all over you?

Lucylou is offline Registered User

I always take Calpol (baby Paracetamol) on the flight with me 'just in case' we need to use it. Also pack a favourite toy or comfort blanket or something that baby is used to having to use when you need to comfort them.
    We moved to HK when my daughter was 4 months old and she was an angel - she slept practically the whole flight - now she is 1.5 and she is a devil to keep occupied!! :O)

Sazzy is offline Registered User

flights only have mineral water which babies arent allowed - you can take your own cooled boiled water. My little one had extra feeds cos she was thirsty and dehydrated - just like you would be.

The only issue i had was with landing as the air pressure hurts their little ears. I tried a dummy so she would suck and then saved a feed for the descent - worked a treat. If that fails, then crying also clears the ears.

Good luck

carang is offline Registered User

honestly, a couple of feedings won't hurt the baby.

there is a controversy regarding what "type" of water to feed...
    we always used whatever was available and guess what???? two healthy children.