Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Expressing milk and formula for 4-6 month old

sakuras is offline Registered User

Expressing milk and formula for 4-6 month old

Hi, need some help from any mommies out there who are expressing milk. Am feeding baby 5 times a day and I don't have enough supply so have to give one of the feeds with formula.

Wanted to know how much you are giving your baby. With the formula I am using, for the 4-6months age it suggests to give any extra 60ml per feed. Do you also give extra breastmilk? I think I read that breastmilk quantity stays the same for the first 6 months but from other sites I have read different so am confused. How much do you give your baby?

TIA!

AndreaY is offline Registered User

If I needed to give the occasional bottle of formula instead of EBM, I always gave the same amount as EBM. Both my daughters on average were on 25oz EBM a day (before introducing solids). One was on EBM until 9 months, the other till 14 months, when I weaned them off EBM, I just gave the same amount in formula. They were both ok with that. I would say if your baby is not hungry, just stick to the same, everyone is always saying that one should not overfeed a baby.

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

we always let the baby decide how much he would eat. if we made 120ml and finished it all, we would make another 30 and offer to make sure he was full. We did the same with EBM, aiming to have a few ml left in the bottle at the end of every feed.

sakuras is offline Registered User

Thanks AndreaY and MilkMonster for your advice. My little one is on average 6oz per feed. She seems happy with that amount. I guess I'll let her decide if she wants more. Thanks :)