Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Where would you live for under $18,000?

jac8 is offline Registered User

Where would you live for under $18,000?

Hi my husband and I and our 1 and 3 year old children will be moving to HK in July. We are really excited and are now madly searching housing on the net. Hubby will be working in Northpoint area. My kids love swimming so we would really like a place with clubhouse facilities, hopefully 3 bedrooms and a maids room and within a 45 minute commute for my husband. Does such a place exsist for under $18,000? We have researched a bit about the Hang Hau area (ie.Residence Oasis) and would possibly consider Discovery Bay if the commute wasnt too bad. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations regarding these areas or any others? We may purchase a car if we need to (and dont live in DB) but would probably prefer for my husband to be able to catch public transport to work.

Thanks in anticipation of your help
    Jac

carang is offline Registered User

it would take probably 1.25 hours to commute via public transport from discovery bay to north point.

we live in sai kung country park. about 45 minute drive to north point or 30 minute drive to hang hau mtr station.

we do not have any facilities as we are in a village house.

what do we have?

1) 5 bedrooms (two ensuite)
    2) 4 bathrooms
    3) 2 large balconies
    4) rooftop "garden"
    5) 1000' real garden (used to have grass, until dogs killed it all!LOL!)
    6) 2100' house
    7) two carparks
    8) peace and quiet
    9) very friendly neighbours, we have neighbourhood get togethers a couple of times per year, almost all of them are expats
    10) safe environment, very few vehicles as you need a special permit to drive into the park

and

11) $15,800/month!!! no extra fees.

it isn't suited for everyone as the closest supermarket is a 15 minute drive away, but we find it great for what we spend on rent! my son goes to the kindergarten in sai kung town (sai kung lok yuk) and is VERY happy there. it is chinese medium, but they have LOTS of expat kids, so notices etc come home in both languages. the teachers all speak english. and the kids all seem very happy. we got a gov't voucher for our son (anyone with a proper visa/hkid card can apply) and the school costs us only $160/month... yes, $160 NOT $1600!!!

both of my kids attend socatots in sai kung town and love it! there are lots of other classes around as well, so you don't always have to trek to HK island for activities.

rani is offline Administrator

I had a friend who lived in a spacious flat in an older Chinese building close to Victoria Park. Building didn't have any facilities but they were at Victoria Park daily, pool/playgound. Best to come for visit and check out the different areas.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Cara --that's a wonderful you have on your house! If only hubby's work is not just 10 min's walk from where we currently live...

Jac8 - You might want to check out Island Resort. A friend just recently renegotiated their lease and was able to get theirs at HK$17,500 per month for a 1200+ place with 3 bedrooms + a helper's room. Island Resort has a great clubhouse (2 pools, children's playroom, tennis courts, gym, outdoor playground, bowling alley, a spa, squash court, etc.). They also have a huge open podium where the kids can run around / ride their bikes. Right downstairs is a bus depot with buses taking you directly to North Point, Admiralty, Central, Causeway Bay, etc. From Island Resort to North Point, you could easily take any of the 2 buses or hop on the minibus to Chai Wan (or Heng Fa Chuen) and then take the MTR.

Last edited by Buckeroo; 02-24-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Typo

carang is offline Registered User

that's the thing... hubby works from home. i work 45 minutes by car away, so it's not too bad.

sunniefaith is offline Registered User

Park Island. You'll be able to get 1027 square feet for 15K or less, 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms and a maid's room. 3 clubhouses and I think 4 swimming pools. 2 indoors, heated pools and 2 outdoors. It'll take around 1hr from Park Island to Northpoint. Ferry and bus.

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User

Heng fa cheun on the mtr hk line might be suitable for you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heng_Fa_Chuen

Last edited by thundacatchergo; 02-24-2009 at 10:11 PM.

jaetee is offline Registered User

Tung Chung - excellent facilities/clubhouses, 3 bedrooms plus tiny maid's room for 12K. Direct MTR line to Central, with train change to North Point.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast