Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Recommendations for Carseat for 1yr old pls!

fennho is offline Registered User

Recommendations for Carseat for 1yr old pls!

hi there

we're going to buy a car and thinking of which carseat to buy (there are sooo many types out there!!). Can someone be so kind to recommend a brand/model and perhaps explain what are the things to look out for in a carseat?

We noticed some of the carseats go by age (1-4yr old) and some by weight. Up till when do we need to put the kid in carseat? Also, can the carseat be placed in the front passenger seat or must it be placed at the back?

Pls advise! thanks!!

carang is offline Registered User

putting a child in a carseat and the type depends on the laws where you are.

i have never heard of any carseat laws in hk, hence the variety available.

canada has quite strict laws. as a matter of fact, you are not allowed to take the baby home from the hospital until you can show the staff that you have installed an appropriate carseat properly in your car.

for a 1 year old, you should have at the minimum a 5 point harness. other than that... it's up to you how many bells and whistles you want. i wanted something that was simple to install so that i could change it from one car to the other by myself.

i've always bought ours at toys'r'us. havent' had any problems.

carang is offline Registered User

as for placement.

you are not supposed to put a rear-facing carseat in the front passenger seat.

you should disconnect the airbag if you place any seat there, from my understanding.

what you should do is do a google search on carseat safety and then decide for yourself what you want to do.

i've only ever put my kids in the front passenger seat once they got to boosters. and even then, not very often. they know that they sit in the back and it's not been a problem.