Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Whats the best way to move things back to Canada

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Whats the best way to move things back to Canada

Hi

I will be moving back to Canada soon and I am wondering what is the best way to move things to Canada. We do not need to move any furniture or bulky electrical items.

We need to mainly move baby clothes, toys and baby misc items. I guess it would come up to a total of about 50 - 75 kg.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Christinea is offline Registered User

Hi. We're also moving soon, back to the Pacific NW. Any chance you're going to the Vancouver area? We have just a handful of things to have moved and would love to find someone to share a small shipping container.

Christinea

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Hello, Im from Canada as well. and before I moved to Hong Kong I lived in Vietnam, and I had to ship back to Canada our stuff because we thought we would be going back to Canada for good (ended up shipping everything home and than moving to Hong KOng) Anyways the best way and affordible is to ship by sea, you need to hire someone to do so for you. From Vietnam the cost wasent too bad we paid around 1200.00 USD and we shipped much much more than you need too, (we had alot of furniture, heavy art pieces etc, and had about 5-6 containers full) Keep in mind that from Hong Kong the price will be more because of the difference in cost of living compared to Vietnam.

I have to warn you that the procedure can be stressfull and time consuming and that it took about 1 month for our stuff to arrive in Toronto Canada. We also had the shippers in Vietnam to work with shippers in Canada to get our things from customs because we had too much and couldnt deliver it ourselves to our home. (you may need to do this also depending on how much you have)

Anyways when packing your things rememember to take pictures, of everything, also on each box I SUGGEST that you put on the labels your Canada address also contact and number also a list of what items are in each box....You will need this for Canada Customs...(make copies of the list and keep them not only Pasted on your boxs but for you in hand when you have to go clear the customs at the airport when your shipment arrives.) You will also need a copy of that list when you fly out to Canada for customs at the airport because you will need to tell them that you have a shipment coming in, they will stamp everything for you and you may need to pay something (I thing we did a little) you will need the stamped customs forms, to pick up your things and clear them through customs before picking everything up in Canada once the shipment arrives, so dont forget to declare that you have a shipment coming in from Hong Kong.

When our shipment came into Canada it first went to BC and than by train to Toronto. The shipment company in Canada called me and told me when our shipment arrived at Toronto Airport......(because you dont have much you probably wont need a shipment company in canada so you will have to find out how to know when your things are ready to be picked up and when you have to clear custmons to pick up your things.

Word of mind shipping companies like UPS, Fedral Express etc are very expensive, shop AROUNd for quotes as all the companies I noticed gave us very different prices, when you call for quotes you will need to have an idea of how much you will be shipping.

Also if you lock your things up, (like we did) You will need to give copies of the keys to your shippers for customs in Hong Kong,(WE GOT all our keys back with our shipment)

I hope this helps if you have any other questions please let me know!

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Sorry one more thing, also on your labels put your contact in Hong Kong as well, with the delivery address in Canad and contact number in canada, email address etc.

And if you do work with a shipper in Canada as well, you will need to go see them and give them copies of the customs forms so they can go pick up your things!