Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In Australia - need to buy a car seat for the flight back, please help!

Portia is offline Registered User

MilkMonster
    Do CX still have the airbags on the seatbelt? When I want to Sydney in August last year, we couldn't use the carseat that we had brought on board because the seatbelts had these huge airbags attached to them. I heard from a friend on a CX flight recently that there were no airbags and I suspect that they have been removed because they were really uncomfortable and in the way (even for adults). It might be worth confirming with CX before you buy a carseat. Does anyone here know?

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

Thank you! Thank you! For all your replies!! and for sharing your stories, it's so tough to travel with kids!! I really appreciate you all very much. I didn't get a chance to call Cathay today (we are here until sunday so I have a little time to organize all this) but their website states:

"Due to safety requirements, infant / child car safety seats may not be used on some of our aircraft passenger seats*. This includes :

* New Business Class seats on all aircraft types
    * New Economy Class seats on Airbus and B777-300ER aircraft. "

we flew here on the new economy which would mean that even if we had a carseat, we wouldn't have been able to use it...which is ridiculous to me as how can not using a car seat be safer than using one??? On the flight over there were those airbags on the seatbelt which is part of the reason why 2yr old was able to slide out so easily!! It makes it impossible to keep the seatbelt tight or for him to sleep sideways across 2 seats because its so bulky. I was thinking it was only on the bulkhead seats, it would be crazy if all the seats were like that! I think if you get an older plane, then there isn't those airbags and the carseat can be used - thanks for the dimensions!!! but if you get a new plane, then the airbags on on the seatbelts and their new rule states that you can't use the carseat anyway!! I will have to call and find out whether the plane will be a new or old one.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into a booster seat but now I am thinking with the airbag on the seat belt, i probably won't be able to strap it anyway. You're right, I think the red-eye was a mistake, we should have flown on a day flight, would have been easier for my 2yr old to play games and read books, watch tv, and for us since we wouldn't have been completely exhausted. Flying home we will be on a day flight so I really hope it will go a little smoother.

We have another 16hr flight back to Toronto next month on Cathay that departs at 2am hk time!!! (when i booked, it was a normal time and they kept changing it, until it was finally confirmed at 2am...) and if I can't use a carseat I guess we will just have to grin and bear it, or drug him up...sigh, not what i want to do but i will keep it in the back on my mind as a last resort option.

These damn airlines!! It's like they don't consider families when they design their new planes!! I'm so annoyed!! Thanks again everyone xx

haha just also wanted to say, that i pick a grouchy little baby over a grouchy toddler any day!!! haha well...i guess it would depend on how long the little baby was grouchy for...sigh, kids.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

i agree completely! flight home with grouchy baby was MUCH more bearable than the flight with a toddler who couldn't sleep.... i laugh now at how easy it is travelling with babies. if only i'd appreciated that first time arpound ;o)

Yes, everything about little babies i took for granted!! haha

Ok, so I just called cathay and they said it's ok for me to use the car seat even on the new flights...

do i believe them and go out and buy one tomorrow?

Just wondering but has anyone been on the new cathay flights and sat in economy not in a bulk head seat, and can tell me if there is the airbag on the seat belt still?

Thanks!!

Just a quick update for anyone wondering about car seats on cathay flights. even though we called and asked and they told us that it would be OK for us to use the car seat - which we went out and bought, when we got to the airport they wouldn't let us bring it onto the flight. All new Cathay air crafts cannot use the car seat both in business and economy class.

Also, the day flight was MUCH MUCH better for my 2yr old. we will avoid night flights from now on!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12