Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to write a birth plan?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

How to write a birth plan?

Should my OB sign it? i want to write about breastfeeding preference, have to inform nurses that i want them to give baby to me asap, no formula, etc.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Just google "birth plan" and you will see many sites pop up which can help you put yours together. A couple of these are:

http://www.babycenter.com/calculators-birthplan (This is the birth plan generator that I used)

http://www.birthplan.com/

Good luck.

MLBW Guest

Yep, there are lots of "templates" out there and plenty of info. if you just Google it.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Hi everyone, I have a question about birth plans also, when you get to the hospital other than your husband who should you give it to? (is it your nurse) Also do they actually read it, undertstand it and pay attention to it at the private hospitals in Hong Kong?

Thanks Everyone!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Bring several copies and make sure that the following get a copy:

- The doctor-in-charge (or your own doctor if you are delivering at a private hospital);
    - The nurse-in-charge
    - The nurse in charge of the nursery

Make sure that a copy is attached to your file, so that even when shifts change, whoever would be looking after your case would know about it.
    -------

I would suggest discussing your birth plan with your doctor. S/he should be able to tell you what you can reasonably expect as far as which aspects of your birth plan can be followed and help you understand why certain requests might not be accommodated.

At PYNEH, they pretty much followed everything I had on the birth plan (and this is a public hospital); I would expect that the private hospitals would respect the wishes of the patient, too (in as far as they can, without endangering the lives of the mother and baby).