Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Having a good helper is such a great feeling!

HK2008 is offline Registered User

Thanks to you all ladies for posting such nice words. This is precisely what prompted me to start this thread as I just wanted to show my true appreciation to a great help that I'm having and can see clearly how invaluable she's gonna be as a part of our family. Or like southside852 put it, I've absolutley struck gold.

And AndreaY, thanks for your reminding. But I'm not stupid. I can smell pretension and falsehood from miles away. Especially I'd formed a good relationship with the lady who recommended her to me and my helper and I talk a lot about this mutual friend of ours. Besides, I've always believed to stay positive and see the bright side of things and then as a consequence, you'll be eventually rewarded as such.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I don't want to be a party pooper either but 3 days is so not long enough to categorically say anyone is that good. it took us 3 hires to find a brilliant maid but the first two times we genuinely thought we'd got it right for the first month when they were both on best behaviour. (and believe me, we are positive people who believe that others will do the right thing if you do right by them. Not so!) Our second helper in particular was the queen of the dazzling smile, until you turned your back. My mothe actually saw her hit my then 2 year old! We soon learnt she could switch her smile on and off as she could her wilingness to work.

I genuinely hope for you that it does work out, and I'm not saying it won't but a tip I would give anyone hiring a helper for the first time is start the relationship as you mean to keep it going and don't put up with anything you are unhappy with. Anything! Also don't be too soft, too generous from the beginning or your might find it being taken for granted down the track. From our experience it is better to start out a bit tough and ease off, increase salary etc as they prove themselves over the months than to be too generous from day one. Our first two hires we were so so generous and they just wanted more and more but without earning it. Our third we started out on minimum wage, increased it to $4000 after 2 months and by 6 months she was on $4900. Her work ethic has never slacked off. The first two times we started out at $4000.

Anyway, it's great to have a good helper and they can profoundly change your life so I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks very much aussiegal. I guess I'm just too excited to finally have got a great help. But you are right. I shouldn't get too soft and generous at the beginning(already spoke to hubby about giving her a pay rise). My hubby said I treat her like a guest especially when we dined out last night. I kept reassuring her to eat more and help herself...I know from my heart that this is a good person but I'm gonna take your advice and keep a bit of distance. I'll re-consider as you suggested what I'm doing now will still hold true in a long term. Otherwise, I'll revise it. I think my hubby is right---that I have to manage expectation...What a tough world we're living in...I truly wish things could be simpler but I also know that human relationships are probably the hardest to work on...

sherwes is offline Registered User

Hi, I also have a great helper. My husband and I just love her to death and our 16 month old son just loves her too.

However, I do agree with Aussiegal's sentiments. I think the key to good relationship with your helper is to remember that they are an employee and to make sure that you always make your expectations clear. We have always done this with our helper and I think she appreciates knowing what is expected of her and the fact that we don't expect her to read our minds. If she does something that I don't agree with I tell her so things don't build up and get tense. We haven't given her any pay rises yet (we do pay her above the min) but gave her a big Christmas bonus for her good work and I am planning on buying her a TV for her birthday which is coming up to reward her.

I hope things work out with your helper - good luck!

Little Monster is offline Registered User

HK2008, I'm happy for you as it is soooo tough to get a good one. For me, I had experience with a helper who steals. and so, up to now, I still have no confidence in getting a live-in helper.

Thanks ladies again for your reply. I just feel soooo good to be part of this forum as I don't feel alone nor lonely. It's like I've got so many friends out there who are ready to point me to the right directions.

My helper is really so good. She still takes care of everything I mentioned in the original post. She had all the week's meals planned for and we went out shopping for groceries according to her list. After I made payment at the counter she said: we spent too much, Mam. I need to plan something using cheaper ingredients...

I'm also thinking of giving her a pay rise each year, but reward her with bonuses, gifts for her birthday and Christmas and CNY. We'll also take her with us when we dine out etc.

I've tried to find what I'm unhappy with her but honestly, so far I've none. So I just need to be happy, hey?

chef is offline Registered User

Grt all u lucky ladies
    Im looking for a good one , since last 2 yrs have been real unlucky
    Hope through this forum someone can recommend a good one .....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12