Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baptist vs. St. Teresa's Hospital

Happy One is offline Registered User

I had my baby at St Teresa's last year and thought it was fine. We chose St T's because it is closest to our home which was very important to me, and my ob-gyn came there for the delivery. You do have to go to the breastfeeding room to feed the baby but the nurses were very helpful in teaching you how to get a hang of it. The only downside is that dad can only hold the baby after the birth and then when it was time to take her home.

I have no idea about Baptist as I did not check it out, but let me know if you have other questions about St Teresa.

robbieudo is offline Registered User

ok:-) One of my collegues ( she is actually a nurse and her husband is s doc) told me everything is quite old and not so clean. But she is HK Chinese and didn't like all the mainland Chinese there. My other collegues gave birth there and didn't get any support with breastfeeding and felt totally left to herself ( she is Indian and doesn't speak Chinese).
    Both of them did Baptist the second time and had good experiences....
    I think lots depends on your OB and the midwife who takes care of you. When I gave birth the first time I didn't realise where I was, but I couldn't have done it without the help of nice people around me. So just hope you have someone helpful on shift...

solidstars is offline Registered User

really? when i visited both i found the space at baptist more cramped and there were more mainland chinese there? i've also heard that st teresa is more helpful with breastfeeding, even though you have to go to the room (hygiene issues, etc). well i'll find out soon enough

mumsy is offline Registered User

can anyone confirm whether the Baptist hospital allows baby to room-in?

pm2307 is offline Registered User

We used St. Theresa and were very happy. My wife needed an emergency C-section 3 weeks before the due date and Dr. Leung was exceptional. Its true that the father only has 1 chance to hold the baby and also the baby is kept in the nursary until you leave. You have to go there for the feedings. English is ok but not perfect with all nurses but a good English speaking nurse is never far away. To this point we have used St. Theresa for all follow up visits for both mom and the baby which have worked out well. We would use them again. Also, I am not sure why but after just 6 weeks my wife's C-section scar has almost totally disappeared.

Query is offline Registered User

I understand that baby can room-in with you at the Baptist only if you are staying in a private room, not sure whether they will allow it if you stay in the semi-private rooms. I stayed at the Baptist and was very happy with the services and the attentiveness of the nurses there.

o_jim is offline Registered User

Hi there,

Does anyone have Dr Ivan Lau details to share? thank you so much. can't find him on google somehow....

thanks again!!

solidstars is offline Registered User

i only have the baby room nurses' hotline saved on my phone: 22003133

but have to say, on hindsight, the nurses were NOT pro breastfeeding AT ALL. they kept trying to persuade me to feed formula but I insisted so basically every two hours i had to go the breastfeeding room (and i was the only mom doing it too, unless i just never happened to bump into another BFing mom...). they do teach you how to breastfeed, but only for about 3 seconds (this applies to ALL moms in the nursery) and then they tell you to pop the bottle into the babies' mouths.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12