Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

what's wrong with my termination letter?

joanneinnyc is offline Registered User

what's wrong with my termination letter?

Today an agent called me asking what I wrote on the termination letter, as there are only Chinese sentences. But I also write down English words on that letter. However, the agency said there is no English at all. The agency is located in Central and mainly targeted to westerner families, and they can't read Chinese.

I think my former helper must have wiped off the English sentence. But, many other agency may not know the truth if they are not as dedicated as this one. She can cheat so many agencies and her future employer! I know she really wants to find a job in Central, as she always envy those phillippines who marry a westerner, even now she will turn to 40 and had her own family...

She pretends to be very good at begining, but after she came back from Hong Kong park and Saint John's church few times, she began to play trick with me in order to get fired. Finally I gave her an extra month salary after she stole my stuff and have my baby's face cut with a permanent scar. Because she is very clear she can continue to lie and cheat her future employer under the current system. She has been in HK for 8 years and knows the rule very well.

Last edited by joanneinnyc; 03-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Aber97 is offline Registered User

But, if she is fired, she has to go back to her home country to start the process all over again without being able to change job directly in HK unless she was fired because of employer's financial difficulties or migration or employer abuse. No?

she has 14 days after the termination to look for new employers personally in Hong Kong. And some agencies send them to Macow or mainland China instead of home country and they can come back anytime as visitors to find jobs again. Actually, she asked for 3000 dollars cash instead of the ticket back to her hometown in front of the agency and me. I replied directly, "you don't want to go home, right?" Before she told me she won't look for job in Hong Kong any more. I know she is telling lies one after another. I have to buy her a ticket.

No way! So, what happens if say a helper simply just left the employer, and the employer cancelled the contract. Would she still be allowed back to work as a domestic helper?

yes, if they resign the job, ususally the employer only needs to provide them the tickets and travelling allowance home, but if they do something bad in order to get fired by the employer, they can earn one extra month salary as the early notice. Which means if you fire her immediately, you must lose about 6000 HK dollars. The agency ususally will try hard to find them another job as long as they still own them money! Otherwise, how could they claim back the money?

Therefore, some helpers know it's quite easy for them to hide their bad record and they are not scared of being caught, as it seems pretty clear under current system and law, the more nasty they are, the more likely they will get an extra one month salary and continue their next adventure.

I guess you can always fire them on the grounds of summary dismissal, this way you just pay for the flight, days worked during that month and travel allowance, provided that you're confident they'd done something really bad and any challenge they might ever bring to the labour tribunal will unlikely to be successful.

yes, the summary dismissal... I should know this early... sometimes, it's not easy to achieve that... Today a friend told me that if I give her 3 warning letters and she signs , there is no need to pay her one month extra. But, we have to be alergy along the journey of waiting for her three big offence...usually, when we have a baby to take care of, we won't have the mood to collects all the proofs.

And some thing like stealing, really needs solid proof. she steals some small stuffs, such as keys, toilet papers, rice...But only with a video the police can charge her ( and it's not legal to video them). On the day she left, I asked her whey she stole my key and then put it back? she denied and said, "you can fire me now".

I should ask her to resign, but I was afraid she hurts my baby again... ( she cuts my baby's face with her glass frame and leave a permanent scar, and at the time, we were both home, after seeing the heavy bleeding, she still said baby used his finger nails to cut it... ) but at that time, we forgave her and didn't note down anything.

not to mention her big lies about the basic knowledge in phillipines in order to get money from us:

1.antiboitics costs 1000 hk dollars a day, therefore she needs to borrow us 3000 dollars to treat her daughter's disease. Recently I checked online and found out the public hospitals' treatment and medicine are free there.

2. she needs 3000 Hk dollars to go home, as her home is 3 days from Manila. But it turns out to be 100 HK dollars and her home is very close to Cebu!

It's really take some guts to deal with a bad nature where there is a baby at home.