Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Peaches

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

We just had this for lunch and it was really easy to make and very yummy! I did cheat a bit and used canned peaches instead of fresh ones, store-bought chicken broth instead of homemade one, but... both kids finished everything on their plates, with no fuss. I even got a "Yummy, Mommy" from my 2-yr old. :-)

Here it is:

4 skinless chicken breasts (about 6oz each), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp. unsalted butter
    ? cup thinly sliced shallots
    ? cup balsamic vinegar
    ? cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
    ? cup heavy cream
    2 large ripe, but firm peaches (about 1 lb. total), cut into ?-inch-thick wedges
    2 tbsp. shredded fresh basil, or chopped fresh thyme leaves

1. Remove fillets (the finger-size muscle on the underside of each breast) and set aside. Using the flat end of a meat pounder, lightly flatten each breast.

2. Season the chicken breasts and fillets with salt and pepper, then dredge through the flour, shaking off any excess.

3. Melt 1 tbsp. of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saut? until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. To test for doneness, cut into the thickest part of the chicken and see. Flesh should be opaque, no trace of pink.

4. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover while you make the sauce.

5. Add remaining 1 tbsp. butter to skillet. Add shallots and saut? until tender, about 30 seconds. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced by half, forming a thick glaze (about 2 minutes).

6. Add chicken broth and cream, + any juice on the chicken plate. Cook until sauce is reduced by half and lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.

7. Add peaches and toss until just warmed through. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.

8. Place chicken on platter. Spoon sauce and peaches over chicken and serve immediately.

MLBW Guest

Thanks Buckeroo,

I saw this recipe and gave it a try tonight.

I really did my own "editing" though. First, I hate frying things--I spent so much time frying stuff when we lived in Mainland China and before we had an oven here in HK. So, prefer baking things--I can prepare them and then put them in and bake them and not really think about it while I prepare the sauce or the side dishes.

So, I rubbed the chicken down with the salt and pepper and then breaded it with the flour, put the pieces on a Corningware baking dish with a bit of olive oil to keep them from sticking. Put it in the oven on 200 degrees C and let 'em bake for about 40 minutes (probably were done at 25-30 but...).

Then I focused on the sauce. We like our sauce pretty thick around here so I added a bit of dissolved cornstarch to get that effect.

And of course I used packaged chicken stock as well as canned peaches (I'm not "made of time" here, y'know?) :0)

It was pretty good and my son (nearly 16 months) chowed down. Oh, and of course, we basically poured the sauce over rice and ate it that way but the chicken also got a dousing.

And thanks again....pretty good.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Glad you liked it. :) It's the first time that I'd tried this recipe and it's something that I'd make again. I actually used diced chicken fillets instead of whole breasts... easier for the kids, plus easier to "moisten" the white meat. Like you, I prefer "saucier" food, so I did add more amounts of cream + chicken broth than what's recommended on the recipe.
    ------

Sorry... I only realized now that the fractions in the recipe above came out as "?". Basically just replace all the ?'s with "1/4."

MLBW Guest

Yeah, I just winged it. It turned out pretty good.

sherwes is offline Registered User

Hi Buckeroo,
    Do you think this recipe would work equally well with chicken thighs? I think they are a fair bit cheaper than chicken breast and we are in a recession!! Will any Wellcome have tinned peaches - I just haven't noticed them before.
    My fave "kids" recipe that adults also like is the fish pie from Annabel Karmel. It's basically white fish with a layer of tinned tomato and herbs and then a layer of cheese sauce on top. My 16 month old loves it.
    Happy to post the recipe here if anyone is interested...

samali is offline Registered User

yes pls share the recipes kids love.my 2 year old son is very picky eater.ba like fish some more fish recipes and any suggestions ti eat him his veg also.thx

carang is offline Registered User

puree his veg and mix it in with whatever you make...like suggested in
    DECPETIVELY DELICIOUS cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld

MLBW Guest

Sherwes, I know you asked Buckeroo, but I think it goes for any recipe--you can really modify it any way you like as far as parts of the chicken go and get the same effect. And I think any Wellcome will have canned peaches. Our little Wellcome way out in the village has canned peaches. Canned peaches will just be softer and sweeter (because of the added syrup--which you can wash off if you like).