Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helpers' working time

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy0741 View Post
    For my helper, the work she does is just cleaning and looking after my son, who is already 2 and 1/2. My mom is there to do the cooking and buying of groceries. So what she needs to do before sleeping is cleaning in the kitchen. My son already has me there to look after. But she usually works very slowly and even a blouse or shirt take her at least an hour to finish ironing, though she irons well, which I do appreciate her for this, but her slowness tend to delay everything. Even after I told her to get ready to sleep on or before 10, she would go to the kitchen to cook her noodles, which she would spend around 1/2 hr in it. ( She already had her full dinner before) but I dont mind about this, maybe she justs gets hungry very often.
    My son goes to sleep in the afternoon, so I allow her to take a short nap at that time. But what she will do is to talk on the phone with her friends, so I dont think I am being unreasonable with her. Even if I allocate a time for her to reast, she would prefer to do other things, so it's just her habit to sleep late and go to bed late!
    Hi Sandy,
    I think you are being quite reasonable here. She should be able to get up earlier if she's allowed to sleep before 10. Chatting till very late is not an excuse for not being able to get up in the morning, esp. if she can take a short nap with the baby during the day. I think you should have a talk with her and point this out to her. We all have to adapt to our working environment/condition, like you for example you have to go to work at 6:30 then you have to organise your rest etc to make it to work at that time; so does she, ie. rest earlier and get up earlier...
    Hope you can work something out sooner. I don't think you should put up with this for too long...

Lucylou is offline Registered User

My helper starts at 7:30am and we had a couple of occasions where she came out of her room 15-20 minutes late with no apology for her lateness. My husband had a stern word with her and said that we would dock money from her each time she was late starting and that in any job, lateness is not acceptable. She now is back on track and up and about at 7:30am - money is their life and as she sends back most of her salary to her family in the Philippines every month, she couldn't justify losing a $ of it.
    Try this with your helper perhaps? if she doesn't change, then I think you may need to go down the route of finding a helper who is more committed to their job. Good Luck!

sandy0741 is offline Registered User

Have you really deducted money from her salary? And is it allowed? I also thought of doing it before, but just thought it is not allowed! anyone got any ideas on it?

No we didn't - it was to scare her.

sandy0741 is offline Registered User

At least she got scared, but no matter what i said to mine, she will just say yes, sorry, but the next day it's just the same thing again.

slamdunk is offline Registered User

HK2008 is right, you shouldn't really have to put up with this. You can only warn/give chances to some people a limited no. of times and then realise that they just fail to meet your expectations on work attitude/priority or competence.

Don't think you can legally dock her salary though if she is regularly late.

Neha is offline Banned

no u cannot dock their salary that is illegal

Well that is another debate which I don't really agree with - she has entered a contract to work for you so you and she has broken that contract so why shouldn't you be able to dock money - you pay her at the end of the day! Anyway - I think maybe her heart isn't in it and if she is continuing like this, perhaps she is waiting for you to terminate her contract rather than her breaking it - I think you would be better off that way!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast