Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Vitamin D

manolita is offline Registered User

Vitamin D

Hi All,

I would like to know if some of you give their babies vitamon D supplement... I am asking this question because in FRance , this is compulsory and it is prescribed by doctor but I have asked mine and she said no need....

Have a good day everyone...

Cheers,

Manolita

rani is offline Administrator

We started giving our son cod liver oil before he turned 2, and I believe its a good source of Vit D. It has really helped build his immunity and I wish I had started taking it earlier.
    I think you can start at 12-months. Best to re-confirm with yr Dr.

HTH

monte is offline Registered User

I've been giving my baby Vit. D drops since he was about 6 months, and I would have started earlier if I had been able to find them. In the US it's not mandatory but highly recommended, I think for as long as the baby is BF. I think the idea is that once they are drinking milk, they will get vit. D. from that. Of course, milk is D-fortified in the US and I don't think it is here. I couldn't find any of the drops here so I have my mom send from the US.

hope that helps!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

The main source of Vitamin D comes from direct sunlight. In temperate climates, especially if you have darker skin, supplements of Vitamin D are often recommended. In the tropics and sub-tropics, such as Hong Kong, everyone (even very dark skinned people) get enough Vitamin D from the sunlight so it is not required to take supplements.

In fact for people with pale skin they can get enough Vitamin D in a wet and cold English summer to last them through out the winter - so imagine how little sun exposure they need in Hong Kong's summer to get enough Vitamin D.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

At my son`s 1 month check up, the pediatrician gave us these. I think they are fish oil(cod liver) - anyway, they`re pretty gross bc you have to open the capsule and squeeze the oil into the baby`s mouth, then your baby smells like fish. I didn`t finish the pack. Another doctor told me not to bother - just to take the baby out each day for 15 minutes or so in the sun - that`s all it takes supposedly.