Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Newborn grobags

Momma is offline Registered User

Newborn grobags

Was looking at baby bedding the other day, and saw for the first time some 0.5 tog grobags (though a different brand) that claimed to be suitable for newborns.

Grobags seem easier to use than swaddling in terms of bedtime access for changing, etc, but I just wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has been successful/unsuccessful with them.

Any opinions either way on which is better to try? Thanks.

tstmum is offline Registered User

Both mine were swaddled initially - one moved to grobags at about 6 weeks and the other about 2 months (some babies are swaddled for months). The point of swaddling is that the baby is snug and has their arms secured. Newborns have a startle reflex, so when you lie them down their arms fly up and can wake them. But some babies don't seem to like swaddling and do better in grobags. A bit of trial and error may be needed!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

yes i agree with tstmum - it is baby dependent. my first was only swaddled for a week or two at most....he was too small for grobag intially - i think they have a recommended weight of around 8lbs. as soon as he reached the allowed weight he was in grobag. He is 3yrs old and STILL refuses to go to bed without a grobag. kind of cute..and means he never gets out of bed during the night ;o)

my other son needed to be swaddled until he was around 4months of age or he just wouldn't sleep well. I had to go through quite a drawn out process to wean him off the swaddle into the grobag.

i know of some people who never swaddled at all but I think most babies do tend to prefer it in the early days afterall they have been cooped up in the womb so long it must be strange to have arms and limbs flailing about!

....all babies are born with whats called the Moro reflex which can cause their arms to jerk - and wake them up! in some babies it can be quite strong and swaddling is the best way to ensure mum and baby get some sleep.

Momma is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for your comments. I think the best thing is to prepare both for baby then - I really want to avoid having to shop straight after getting home from the hospital. I appreciate your advice.