Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

going through hong kong customs with 1 parent

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

going through hong kong customs with 1 parent

My husband is travelling on different dates than myself and our children. I've crossed into Canada alone with the children before and know what is required there, but I haven't crossed into hong kong alone before. Will a notarized letter (notarized in Canada) be sufficent. Thus far we have been scrutinized more at the Canadian border entering Canada than anywhere else in the world, which seems ironic considering we are canadian and are only going home. Just want to make sure there is no hold up at the air port in hong kong.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Do the kids have their own passport? They either need to have their own or be in yours and then there wouldn't be any problem. If they're in your husband's passport you may have a problem since then they don't have any valid travel documents so I wouldn't know how they could enter the country.

Other than that I am not sure what you mean ...

Neha is offline Banned

I think u are talking about a rule iN South America ( Chile) Where if one parent is traveling with the children they need the consent from the other parent. In Hong Kong u dont need that as long as the kids have their own passports or are on your passport.

tstmum is offline Registered User

Our kids have their own passports, and I've entered HK with them on a number of occasions by myself when my husband has travelled separately - never had a problem. I do carry a copy of their birth certificates and our marriage certificate (as I've kept my maiden name, hence different surnames) but never been asked to produce them.

carang is offline Registered User

actually, it's not just south america that a letter is needed.

if you have joint custody (including if you are still married), a letter from the second parent is not necessary, but is STRONGLY recommended, when travelling to Canada and the USA as well.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    actually, it's not just south america that a letter is needed.

if you have joint custody (including if you are still married), a letter from the second parent is not necessary, but is STRONGLY recommended, when travelling to Canada and the USA as well.
    Wow, I never knew that. No problems going in or out of Australia with kids and without hubby.

What about other countries? I've been to Singapore without an issue. Anyone know the situation in Thailand?

Neha is offline Banned

no issue in thailand

lylee is offline Registered User

hi, could you pls let me know more about what is the requirement when travelling to canada? what should be in the letter? i'll be going there this summer with my baby alone, my husband will join at a later date... i've never heard about this. tks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast