Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

one nap and weaning

putput is offline Registered User

one nap and weaning

How can you tell when your baby is ready to go from two naps to one? My daughter has just turned one so I think, and am hoping, it's too soon!!!! Also, any tips on weaning? Hate the idea of making my baby cry for her milk. She pulls at my top and gets into position at her scheduled feeds and I feel guilty at the idea of not giving her what she's used to! My supply is dwindling so I don't think she's drinking that much now, more comfort sucking, I think....

or maybe she is, but it just doesn't feel like alot compared to when I felt fuller and could feel my breast being emptied.

southside852 is offline Registered User

at around 12 months most babies drop their morning naps. it's always the first one to go. my son who is 15 months, has yet to drop it though....i think the baby will naturally just adjust their own schedule and it might take a couple of weeks for them to figure it out.

if you are weaning off nursing, i dropped a feed every 3 days and replaced with a bottle. Will she not take the bottle at all?

Thx Southside,

As my daughter is a year old, should I be introducing her to the bottle at this stage? She can drink out of a cup but I think she's comforted by sucking so should I offer a bottle? She's been exclusively breastfed pretty much since she was born.

Neha is offline Banned

I would suggest sippy cups instead of a bottle because then again u have to wean her from the bottle. So why not just do it once. Our son's milk intake did decrease but then he was having solids so we were not freaked out

sherwes is offline Registered User

You will know when your baby is ready to drop the morning nap as you should notice that they are getting tired later and later in the morning. In my case, once my 14 month old started to only seem tired at 11-11.30am and cried if I put him down earlier I knew it was time to drop the nap.

Regarding weaning, I think the ideal is to go from breast to sippy cup and bypass bottles altogether. That way you don't need to wean your baby off the bottle later. Perhaps you could do something to make having the cup as enjoyable as the breast. Maybe let her watch a special DVD that she likes when she has the sippy cup or read her a favourite story. I realise these aren't great ideas - maybe other mums can come up with good ideas to make the cup seem as special as the breast!

southside852 is offline Registered User

if your baby can already use a cup then definitely stick with that. we acutally nursed, bottle then sippy cup without any problems...we use the doidy cup because of it's slant and my son can see the liquid coming.

I think it'll be a struggle for her feeds that she relates to sleeping. I don't nurse her to sleep but I do nurse her before I put her down for her afternoon nap and at bedtime. As soon as her grobag's on, she expects her feed and sees it as very much a part of her routine. I think I'll be able to get round the afternoon nap one somehow but I know she'll get upset when i take away the 'just before bed' feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast