Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

From China

pme23 is offline Registered User

From China

HI there, my husband and I have just moved to Zhangmutou (near Shenzhen) and I am 11 weeks pregnant. We want to have a doctor in Hong Kong and have the birth in Hong Kong. Has anyone else been in a similar position and did it all work out?

carey is offline Registered User

Hi pme23, I live in Dongguan city in the Mainland, which is 2 hours drive from HongKong. I am 33 weeks and have been having prenatal check ups at the Union hospital in Shatin, Hongkong. I will deliver at the end of May there as well.

Since your town is quite closer to HongKong than where I live, it's definitely doable to get prenatal care in Hongkong.

There are quite a few parents who live in the Mainland and deliver in HongKong have posted in this forum about their experience. You could do a search on their threads my typing key word " Mainland"; " hospital " " shenzhen".

You would have enough time to first decide which hospital or Ob to go with at this early stage. (Again, You could do a search in this forum and hear what others have to say about each hospital). But it's better act fast because you would have to book your bed and pay deposit if your are not a hongkong resident. Hospitals are filling up fast due to the number of Mainland mother choosing to deliver there.

Please feel free to Pm me if I can be of more help.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and Good luck.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I was in your position last year, but I lived in Shenzhen. I looked at Union hospital and after a lot of thought, we decided to have our baby at the VIP Birthing Centre in Guangzhou. It was basically to avoid having to stay in HK before and after the birth (to get passport, visa to go back into china) and the high costs associated. I did, however, go to Union for a few check ups, notably the fetal anamoly scan.
    We were both happy with our choice and everything turned out well (well enough considering everything turned out unexpected in my birth anyway, but that`s not related to my choice of hospital). If you want any other details, please PM me.
    Oh, and I`m sure you`re already in the know, but just steer clear of SZ hospitals. 3rd world.

jordanjzz is offline Registered User

The VIP Birthing Center in Guangzhou is fabulous! The doctors and nurses were great. We had to have an emergency miscarriage so I was worried that they would be able to do everything. But they were great... and so sweet during our time of grief. Language is not a problem and everything is up to date. I really can not say enough great things about them. The price was also a nice thing 15 -20,000 for natural birth and 20 - 25,000 rmb for a c-section. Dr. Jo was my doctor and she is excellent with 20 years experience. We are going to try again and I will go back if we get pregnant with our second baby.