Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving Flats in HK - A CheckList?

snagito is offline Registered User

Moving Flats in HK - A CheckList?

Hi All!

We're thinking about moving flats (with 2 children in tow) in three short weeks, and I was wondering if anyone had a checklist handy or just some suggestions - that they've used for moving within HK before.

We have an efficient helper and I know she can handle some of it too but I obviously need to have a plan. My mind is zipping in so many directions that I know I need help.

Would so appreciate any thoughts from people who are better organised than me - Help! Where shall I start?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Neha is offline Banned

who is doing your moving? we moved in Jan and it was very easy. they packed all the stuff and mentioned which room it goes and then they opened accordingly they even unpacked the whole kitchen including all spices( masalas) etc which was great. Putting our clothes in the closet also

We have moved without the moving Companies and it is very tiring

Neha do you have a recommendation for a good mover? Please let me know if so. Thanks.

Neha is offline Banned

Good Care Interational
    GOOD-CARE International Movers Company

They were great 11 people came at sharp 8.30 , One lady who packed the entire kitchen and the guys who packed every thing else. They finished packing and loading by 12.00 went for lunch and then went to new place and unpacked everything by 4 p.m they were all done.

Call then they will come and see your place and give u a quotation. u can bargain a bit. We had come cheaper quotes but these guys looked the best. Plus we had some stuff that we had to get rid off. They threw all stuff at no extra charge.

rani is offline Administrator

Also, it should be approx $3-5K to move - that includes packing.

Neha is offline Banned

It depends upon how much stuff u have we had a lot of stuff so it was more expensive

Thanks ladies. Useful to know a benchmark price too. We really don't have a lot of stuff (she said confidently little knowing what lay at the back of all the cupboards/under beds!) so shall certainly try to bargain.
    How about all the gas/electricity -I guess it is worth doing that straight away now that we know our moving date? Worried that they will cut it off here but hopefully not, right... Sorry for rambling. Can I say again how great and supportive this site is! Thanks.

tstmum is offline Registered User

Definitely agree with getting the movers to pack up and unpack for you. It saves SO much time on your part, and I would rather pay more for the convenience.

Write a list of all utilities - gas, electricity, water - and check the websites for details. You will have paid a deposit to each initially, so you'll need to find the original receipts. Each of the companies has different procedures, and in some cases you need to be in your new apartment for initial readings/turning on the supply or in your old apartment for final readings/turning off the supply, so allow time for this before/after the actual move.

Don't forget landline, broadband (internet &/or TV), organize mail redirection at post office, and updating your address with Immigration, Transport Dept (if you have drivers licence and car registration), Inland Revenue, bank(s), mobile phone co, insurance, clubs and other memberships, Asia Miles or airline frequent flyer. Though if you have a mail redirection in place you can always do some of these a bit later (there is sure to be something you will forget!).

And if you are an expat, you might have to notify change of address in your home country (eg, banks).

Good luck with the move!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast