Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby`s head is tilted

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Baby`s head is tilted

My baby is 14 weeks old. He has always had a tendency to turn his head to his right while sleeping, but now I`m noticing that it`s tilting to his right when he`s in his stroller and carrier.
    He sleeps in a baby hammock so it`s not as hard as a mattress - that`s why I wasn`t really concerned until now. He`s also got a flat head, but he`s had that since birth as his father`s Japanese and has the same flat head:)
    Any idea what I should do about this? I have heard about seeing a baby chiropractor (what are they called?)... we have insurance, but I`m just wondering the cost of this and if insurance would actually cover it.

Any help would be great. I don`t want my son to suffer in the future.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Do go have your pediatrician have a look at this first. I'm sure he/she will be able to point you in the right direction. Mostly for your peace of mind. There might be nothing wrong with your baby that a little massage can't correct or if it's a bit more complicated, at least you'll know the next steps to take.

geomum is offline Registered User

Most babies develop a preference to sleep on one side and its quite normal. At 14 weeks your baby is still very young and his head shape will change a lot in the next 2 years. Try to re- position your baby to the left side and this should help. As he is able to support his neck put him on his tummy slowly increasing the time duration. I think a Paed would most probably tell you the same think Re- position avoid your baby spending too much time in one position or on one side.

Last edited by geomum; 04-22-2009 at 09:40 PM.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Hello, I had the same problem with my son. He preferred to turn his head one way, and ended up with a flat head on one side. I questioned this early on with our docter and was told it would right itself. However his head got flatter and I got more and more concerned. By chance a child physiotherapist came to a baby group I attended and I talked to her. She took my son on as a patient and taught me special holds and exercises to do to strengthen his neck and also loosen the muscles on the other side of his neck. Within 1-2 weeks I saw improvement in his ability to turn his head and the shape of his head. He was about 3 months at the time. I wish now I had known this sooner what to do. My son is 4 now and although his head shape looks fine, one ear is about an inch out of line with the other. The exercises were relatively simple. I was shown how to hold him to strectch the muscles and how to play with him to make him turn his head correctly. I can tell you more if you are interested. I was also in Australia at the time.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

I don't think that the flat head is becasue your baby is japanese, I don't think all japanese people have flat heads. sometimes babies get flat heads becasue they are born with really tight muscles on one side of the neck. They can't turn their heads and end up laying on one side all the time, which then flattens out that side of the head. Can your baby turn neck at all? If this is the problem physio can help with the neck muscles. I personally wounld use a chiropracot as that is for spine manipulation, but it doesn't sound like a spine problem.
    On the other hand some babies will lay on a certain side more and get a slight flat head, which then turns into more and more of a flat head as once the head is slightly flat it is easier for then to place there head in that position and more work to place head the other way. If it was really extreme and the baby only held the head one way, this could cause those musles to shorten and tighten up too.

Flat head is called positional plagiocephaly if you want to google it for more info. in the more extreme cases babies are put in headband to reshape the skull as they grow. those headbands or repositioning for less extreme cases is more sucessful the earlier it is done, when the baby's head is still growing rapidly.

geomum is offline Registered User

Shenzhennifer, I have posted some resources on this thread where you could get more info:

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread123405-2.html

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Sorry, I should not have really mentioned the flat head, I don`t think. It`s flat since birth, and I`m sure it IS because he is part Japanese. My husband`s head is exactly like this - I noticed that the first time I touched the back of it years ago - it`s distinctly different from my caucasian head. And my son was born that way too - it`s reflected in his first birth pictures even. Also, he sleeps in an Amby Baby Hammock, which are softer than mattresses and supposedly do not make flat heads. And it`s not flat on his tilted side - just all the back side.
    At any rate, I don`t need to change that if he was born with it. It`s beautiful because it`s his:)

BUT - I am concerned about the tilting of his head. He definitely prefers that side. he can turn both sides but prefers to turn one way. And it`s really noticable when he`s in his stroller or carrier.
    I decided to take him to the pediatrician today. We are going back to Canada for a few weeks next month so I would rather gets find out if there is anything to be done now rather than later.
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

hi shenhennifer - your baby may have a condition called torticollis, where the tendons in one side of the head are a bit tighter and therefore it is a bit more difficult for your baby to turn his head in that direction.
    my daughter had torticollis. we went to pt and did simple things like placing objects on her right side so she would turn that way and stretch those tendons/muscles. the pt also did some exercises that my daughter HATED, but it was successful and today at five, my dd has equal range of motion on both sides of her head.
    hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast