Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

baby wont take my breast

bart is offline Registered User

baby wont take my breast

Does anyone else have similar problems?

I know I am producing enough millk since i manage to express about 100ml each time i pump but my baby is either too lazy or something that she simply refuse to drink from my breast. She'll latch on for a couple of minutes then gets very fussy and breaks away wailing, waiting for the bottle to come to her mouth. So now i express before each feed and let her drink from the bottle. Is this a bad idea? Should I force her to drink from the breast or no milk at all? My baby is less than 2 weeks old but drinks about 110ml already.

thanks.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

how long have you been trying? perhaps the position she is in is not comfortable? maybe the speed at which your milk is coming out is too fast so she is having a hard time drinking it? I would persist until you find a comfortable position for her since your baby is still under 2 weeks old. If she is willing to take the bottle, then there's really no problem with that either...it's really up to you if you feel you like the skin to skin connection. take your time and don't feel pressurized! all the best!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I had similar issues. It could be many things, that is the problem. If she has been drinking from a bottle, maybe your breast is too much work for her. Or like me, my let-down was too strong for my baby and he couldn`t handle it. It takes a while for your milk to get adjusted to the needs of your baby. Now(3.5 months down the line), my son has days when he breaks away crying(like today) and I don`t know if maybe my milk is too slow for him now, I don`t let-down fast enough, or he`s just had enough and is angry that I am insisting my nipple on him, or was it something I ate? It`s hard to know sometimes.
    I learned from LLL-Sarah, if you have too much milk, you will see milk in the corners of your baby`s mouth. Try pulling away during your let down and see if milk sprays out - that could be the problem.
    You baby is still young enough that you can put her just on the breast if you want to, but I would assume you would have to find out the reason why she is refusing it.
    Sorry not to be of more help. Breastfeeding can be frustrating and confusing. But if you are committed, I think the rewards will come. Don`t give up.

joannek is offline Registered User

i have the same problem. too fast let down & bb pulling away cos she can't swallow fast enough. so i nurse lying down, so milk comes out opposite direction of gravity & it's not as fast.

carang is offline Registered User

oh the spraying everywhere bit.... i loved breastfeeding, and i was lucky to have an easy time of it. but that milk squirting everywhere! yikes! i do NOT miss that! i even let down in the shower or when my dogs would whine!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

haha, I have been letting down in the shower every single night until the past few days!!

cutebear is offline Registered User

Bart, I am having similar situation. My son is 3 weeks old and I introduced bottle to him at 3 days, now he is fussy after been on my breast for 5min. He sucks really well for the first 5 min as my let down is strong, but he stops when the let down slows down. His suck is very strong and usually can finish one breast in about 10 min. At first I didn't know what to do, other than express it out and feed him that way. Then I researched on the web and found out it could be nipple confusion, and one of the things you can do is compress your breast while your baby suck as he/she gets fussy. The compression can help the baby to get more milk. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

mumto2 is offline Registered User

Yes like some of the other ladies have said, sometimes at the start your "let-down" can be too fast for bubs, simply detach her when she gets fussy, check and see if the milk is squirting EVERYWHERE...lol...and simply let that milk go into a facewasher or towel, press above your nipple and let the fast milk come out - don't worry, there's plenty more inside...then when the flow has stemmed, try to reattach and see how she goes...sometimes humming a little lullaby or attaching her and standing up and swaying from side to side can comfort them too. She'll get it, don't worry :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast