Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sore Breast after pumping

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Sore Breast after pumping

Starting this week, I've felt soreness/pain in one of my breasts after I have pumped in the morning. I get a good amount of milk out during the pumping session - anywhere between 70 and 100ml -and the breast feels soft afterwards, like I have emptied it at least to some extent. So I'm not sure why I still feel the pain. The pain doesn't last for very long and then I'm generally ok for the rest of the day. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar and if so, any ideas on why this happens and on what could help relieve the pain however short lived it is? Thanks.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Where exactly does it hurt? When I first started BFing I got a pain in the side of my breast, near my armpit. It happened when I pumped also. I think it was the beginnings of a blocked duct.
    Later it also hurt to pump, particularly if I was doing it too vigourously.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Hi Shenzhennifer - Thanks for your reply. it kind of hurts all the way around. I don't think I have any blocked ducts because I can't feel any lumps. And it doesn't hurt while I'm pumping, just afterwards. Maybe I was pumping too vigorously? Anyways, what did you do to relieve the pain?

kristenandjack is offline Registered User

If it hurts I think you might be pumping a bit hard. I found the same thing and once I turned it down a click it helped a lot. It just takes a but longer, but worth it.

At first when I pumped, I would pump and pump and pump. It would hurt a lot. Then I figured out that I didn`t need to pump so hard, and so many times. When let down happens you just kinda keep it suctioned and it will just spray out and you wait till it runs out and then do it again. Without letdown it`s hard to do that so that`s when you have to pump pump pump.
    I didn`t do anything for the pain. At the beginning, my little one was NOT a good sucker and my nipples were really sensitive. So everything pretty much hurt for the first month or so. I did do a hot compress or 2 and hot showers are always very nice.

By the way, I was using a manual pump. It would be different with an electric one.

mocha is offline Registered User

how old is your baby? I have been pumping ( manual pump) for years. i never have the problem you mentioned. even at the begining( the first 2 months), i pumped every 2 hrs. it is still ok.

City Jammer is offline Registered User

Are you using Lansinoh? Also, try to apply less pressure when pumping. It usually hurts if you press too hard. The pain will ease after a day or two.