Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HLY, NIS, ICS int'l kinders

peanutbutter is offline Registered User

HLY, NIS, ICS int'l kinders

Hello!

Anybody has experience in receiving any offer from these int'l schools between April and June? My girl is still on the waiting list for K1 starting this Sep from these schools and not sure they will give her offer or not. Should I give up them?

Also, can you please share your experience with these schools or any comments?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I am on wait list for P1 at two schools and am also starting to panic (or starting to panic)!

Good luck with it! We are not on the list of any of these.

Are there any parents who want to share any experience/comments with these schools. Many many thanks in advance!!!

bbc mom is offline Registered User

My son is currently at nursery at HLY. I remember that we got interviewed in Oct/Nov and were offered our place in January.

Did you apply late? I've heard that they received a lot of applications this year. Most parents should have paid the reservation fee by now, but there could still be a very small chance of some children dropping out (expats having to relocate) or parents willing to forgo the reservation fee if they are waiting around for another school.

I would call up each school to find out exactly what number you are on the waiting list, so it can give you a better idea of your chances.

Do you have any contingency plans if they don't have room?

We've been happy with HLY, the environment and the teaching style. The school keeps parents well informed and you can become as much involved as you like. We've attended the nursery concerts for xmas and chinese new year, sports day, trips to Kadoorie farm and Brites Playland, and helped out with baking lessons.

I would think HLY and NIS are more similar, whereas I've heard that ICS has a more stricter/disciplined approach.

Thanks so much bbc mom. Your advise was very helpful.

Can you please also advise me how much do parents do usually use for kids extra expenses per term or year (incl. uniform, activity etc) other than tutorial fees?

Many thanks!!!

For nursery, my son isn't attending any extra activities yet because he still needs to have a nap!. But there are courses available such as soccertots, ballet/dance, mandarin, gymnastics to name a few. I forgot the price but will let you know if I can find the old paperwork.

Uniform costs
    Short sleeve polo top $75
    Shorts $70 or Skorts $73
    Long Trousers $120
    Cardigan $80 or V-neck sweater $75

Generally we haven't paid much extra except for transport cost for school trips (2 trips so far costing about $25-$30 each time) and cost of special T-shirts (xmas, anniversary $30). For the xmas party each child brought some finger foods to share. The school also does some fundraising (eg.school fair) and it is entirely voluntary if you want to contribute or not - you can donate items, bake a cake or make a dish but no pressure if you can't.

Once they start at primary level, I would expect them to take more extra curricular activities after school and that's when the expenses would start rising!

Well noted. We've just got an offer from HYL and will take the offer. V happy!!!

bbc mom, would you mind sharing more info about student's daily activity or in general, say,

what do they do at school?
    how many kids? about teachers?
    any Mandarine lesson?
    whether they are happy in general?
    are parents satisfied with HLY in general?
    are kids okay with full day at Reception?
    any negative comments too?

Thanks a billion!!!

Hi peanutbutter,
    Congrats on the HLY offer!
    I have sent you a private message regarding your questions.

Also forgot some other small costs
    school bag $35
    outdoor hat $55

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top