Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to introduce a bottle to breastfed baby

Pekkie is offline Registered User

How to introduce a bottle to breastfed baby

My baby is about 5 weeks old and I breastfeed him all these while. I'm trying to express my milk and feed him thru the bottle on days I need to be out from home and have my helper feed him. Have tried it for a week but no luck. Anyone has any good tips on this?

slamdunk is offline Registered User

suggest you try different teats (e.g. we found softer ones from B-Free worked better than the Avent ones) until one suits and then be persistent. we started both our kids on bottle EBM from around 3 w/o for the last feed of the evening (with dad) and both took to it quite well.

Pekkie is offline Registered User

Thanks for the tips slamdunk. Will try out the B-Free teats, hope it works for my baby. Do you have any idea if the B-Free teats works on Avent bottles? I just dread to have to wash so many parts of the B-Free bottles ;)

reei is offline Registered User

i bought mine from jusco, you can tell the lady, that you need one that imitates breastfeed.. i think it is a "cross " type.. the type they need to squeeze for the milk to come out.. not the leaking type..
    it works for my bb. good luck.

W2BMOM is offline Registered User

I've just weaned my 16 months' old son (who refused to take all the other bottles I've tried) successfully after I got the BREASTFLOW bottle BY THE FIRST YEARS bottle. He was fed exclusively until 6 months which made it so difficult for me.

I got the bottle fr Toy'R'Us (Malaysia) so I'm not sure if they have it in Hkg. Perhaps u could try places like B2B or Eugene.

Just another option for you in case your bb rejects the new teats. Here's an introduction video of the bottle or you can search on the internet for more info.

The First Years Breastflow 5oz Bottle User Review 153703 - Yahoo! Video

Good luck!

rani is offline Administrator

We sell the First Years Bottles on ShopinHK

Hong Kong Feeding | Baby Shop | Hong Kong Online Shopping

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I second the Breastflow bottle. I introduced the bottle about a week too late to my little one and he outright refused. When I got the Breastflow bottle he did accept it. But then I got too cocky and left it alone for a while and now he refuses it again. I just gave up. I figure he'll go from breast to cup and that's that.
    I read that if you introduce the bottle someone else should feed him, and in a different place than he's normally fed.
    Also, I read that maybe formula in lieu of EBM might work since it's just a different taste and he might take it in a bottle. I didn't want to go down that road since I have more than enough milk for him in my breasts.
    The Breastflow bottle can be bought at a few places - ToysR Us for sure, I don't think at Eugene, - I got mine at a local baby shop. But it's the same price everywhere, whether in the shop or the above website.

Dink is offline Registered User

Hey there - we found with our little one that it just took time and patience.... we intro'd bottle at 3 weeks at the 10pm feed, she just couldn't work out what to do with it. So we scrapped that at 6 weeks and fed her a bottle every morning first thing when she would be hungry and more alert. It took about 10 days, sometimes an hour just to take a couple of ounces, but gradually she learned how to do it a little bit better every day. Now she has her bottle at 10pm and at other times if I'm out and about. Funnily enough she took it easier from me than from my husband, I think because she associates me with food :) She likes the milk nice and warm too. I make an absolute point of making sure she gets a bottle every day because its important to me that she doesn't forget/refuse it as she gets older, I like the knowledge that someone else can feed her and that I can give up breast feeding when I'm ready without too much trauma...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast