Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

RSVP etiquette

syuan is offline Registered User

RSVP etiquette

My children are getting a lot of birthday party invitations, and I'm wondering what is the best way to RSVP. My son is 5 and my daughter is 4, and at this age we still pretty much do everything together as a family of four. So if my son's classmate has invited him to a party, is it okay to ask if his sister can come along? Do people usually RSVP with number of parents (or helper) or siblings? Or is it better just to have one parent bring the one invited child?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

AndreaY is offline Registered User

I think it's perfectly fine, I think it's just etiquette to ask the host whether it's ok. So far, all the birthdays my daughter has been invited to, her younger sister was also invited, and with our own, friends have replied to ask whether it's ok to bring helpers etc.. To us, it's just to confirm numbers, so that there is enough food for everyone.

tstmum is offline Registered User

I think it depends on the situation. If you are invited to a party where you know the family well, and the party child knows both your children, then it's fine to go as a family of four - but do check first and don't presume. If it's say your son's classmate, and you don't know the family well then just one parent should go with your son (if you had a baby in tow, then it's another matter as baby might have to be with mummy for feeds). Some party venues charge per child and have a limit to the number of children that can attend the party, so if the host has all these extra uninvited siblings coming along then they may not have budgeted for this and/or not have the space.

But do RSVP, please (with number of children and adults). It drives me nuts when people just do not respond. I always cater for them (and make up a party bag, too) just in case but invariably they do not turn up.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

I don't bring along the whole family, except for close friends where that has been the expectation. For school friends I have never brought along a silbing, and in my expereince neither do other people (except of course babies). I agree it is for the above reasons. Lots of places you are paying/child or have a limited # you can invite.

rani is offline Administrator

Also Syuan, from 5 up, parties will be drop off. So your son will have to go on his own. At least that's been the case since D started primary school.

syuan is offline Registered User

Wow, drop off already? It never even occurred to me! Thanks for the wake-up call, rani!

And thanks to everyone for your helpful input.

Neha is offline Banned

Please do RSVP it is very impolite when people dont.