Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Business trip will bring breastfeeding to an end?

lisa88 is offline Registered User

Business trip will bring breastfeeding to an end?

I have a business trip to the US coming up in six weeks time and am worried that this will bring my breastfeeding to an end. The trip will be for 7-10 days. Am breastfeeding my 11 week old girl exclusively. I went back to work in early May when she was 8 weeks old. I have been pumping milk at work, twice a day. In a 24 hour cycle, I breastfeed her 4X and she has my expressed breast milk in a bottle 2X whilst I am out at work. On weekends I feed her 6X and pump 3X every 24 hours. My stash of frozen milk will last for 2 days, that's it. I don't see how I can increase that stash of milk to cover the 10-day trip that I am away, plus I am gonna be really engorged during the trip. Pumping & storing milk during the trip is not an option as I will be in looooong meetings. What to do? should I just start weaning now? It is such a pity coz I worked really really hard to get my milk supply up and to pump milk at work. Now that the whole breastfeeding thing is stabilized, I have to give it up!! Even my husband is disappointed. He has been very supportive. Suggestions welcome!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

You can pump and dump. Sounds like such a waste, I know, but it's one way of trying to keep up your supply. I had a couple of business trips when I was nursing my first one: The first trip was when he was around 4 months old. I brought the pump with me and pumped and dumped, except for the supply I got right before flying back. I brought along gel coolants and a Medela bag with me for that purpose. I had a trip to the US when he was around 15 months old and I didn't even bring my pump then. Managed to get back to breastfeeding (fenugreek capsules, Korean seaweed soup) and kept at it until he was 18 months. With our 2nd one, I was hospitalized for almost a week when she was around 9 months old. Pumped and dumped. When I got back home, I breastfed directly as much as I could, on demand... took fenugreek capsules and Korean seaweek soup again, and was able to get my supply back. Still breastfeeding now at 25 months. Planning (hoping, really!) to stop soon...

It can be done. :) Good luck.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

As for not having enough breastmilk stored up now to feed your little one while you are gone - have you considered started your little one on formula for one or two meals a day so you can pump more during the day and freeze? That way even while you are gone, your little one can have a few meals of expressed breastmilk a day and a few of formula. Then when you come back you can work on going back to exclusively breastfeeding if you want or continue to supplement with some formula during the day.

Buckeroo - what is Korean seaweed soup and do you make that yourself or buy it? Thanks.

FutureHKmom - You can make Korean seaweed soup yourself. Here is a very basic recipe.

You can basically use chicken, beef, oxtail, clams (!) or pork as a soup base. All my Korean friends take this after giving birth and ALL of them had lots of milk, so I thought I'd try it. It worked for me as well, but best of all, I really love the soup. :)

Thank Buckeroo! Where do you buy the seaweed?

Hubby gets it when he goes on biz trips to Korea, but you should be able to get them here at Korean stores here in HK. I'll ask my friend if she knows of anywhere here in HK that sells these and will post here once I find out.

Thanks Buckeroo!!

mumto2 is offline Registered User

I think you can get seaweed at Sogo in Causeway Bay...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast