Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Agency recommendation?

HappyV is offline Registered User

Agency recommendation?

Hi - we are about to hire a second helper, who is a relative of our current helper. Due to the rip-off (ahem - official policy) at the Philippine COnsulate, we have to do this through an agency.

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable agency? I have heard stories about the agencies in the Philippines charging helpers up to 15,000HK before they will 'release' their papers - who do not want this to happen. Already annoyed about this costing us an extra $3000-5000.....

Any help greatfully appreciated.

rani is offline Administrator

HappyV.

When we hired our helper, we told her to find a good agency in Manila. She asked around and found one that had an office in Central. She signed the contract at the agency, they couriered it here and I went in and signed them and paid the processing fees. It was around $3000 which included her air ticket. She didn't have to pay anything on her end.

Sorry I don't think the agency we used is around anymore.

Portia is offline Registered User

I used Emry's to process the papers of a break-contract helper, ie she had to return to Philippines. I don't think she was asked to pay anything extra. I remember there was a list of extra charges, but you are told those upfront. My helper asked me to use them and she had no complaints about them.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I have to say, I keep reading about this new rule and am appalled that the Phil Government can be soooo thoughtless. I keep hoping they will come to their senses and remove the rule before we get back! Otherwise I am seriously considering not getting a Phil helper but an Indonesian or something. To make these girls (and guys) pay an agent a fee for their paperwork to work overseas is rude.

I hope the Phil Government is cracking down on these agencies and also providing some kind of guarantee that employers will not be ripped off by them!

mommybee is offline Registered User

It is a complete rip off on the Philippine government part. I recently found a helper from agency A, paid everything and later on found out that they had gone under. Even with a valid visa from the HK immigration and a stamped contract, the Philippine Consulate INSIST that I must hire another agency again, pay $3000-5000, if I want to get the helper over to HK to work for me. They refuse to bend the rule in anyway and kept telling me that they only know agency and do not know any individuals or don't really care about employers either. So even though I'm about to deliver my baby in a month's time, I have to go through the entire process again and wait for my helper to arrive, which will at least be in another two months. Adding to this was the attitude and tone that I had to deal with when I was explaining my case to this man at the Phillipine Consulate. It was clear to me that they are on the agency side.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User

We used Emery as well for the same situation as Portia. They were fine.

HappyV is offline Registered User

I agree that it is a dreadful policy.
    We will look at Emry's - I have heard horrible stories about 'extra' charges at the Philippines end of the agencies, so that recommendation really helps.
    (I have also had dreadful experiences with the Philippines Consulate. I hate being treated as though every employer abuses their maid).

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    (I have also had dreadful experiences with the Philippines Consulate. I hate being treated as though every employer abuses their maid).
    Tell me about it! My helper cut her finger when trying to sharpen a knife. Cut looked deep and I immediately took her to Queen Mary for stitches. The nurses were soo RUDE to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast