Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help/Advice for Flying with 1 Year Old

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Need Help/Advice for Flying with 1 Year Old

I will be flying on a 14 hour flight with an almost one year old and desperatly need advice on many things:

What movies will entertain a 1 year old?
    We purchased a seat on the airplane, should we use a carseat or harness?
    What toys are entertaining for a 1 year old on a plane (not too obnoxious for other passengers)?
    It takes a while for my baby to settle to sleep. Usually, she just hangs out in the crib and plays and right before she falls asleep she will cry (not too long ~min)....any advice on what to do on a plane to get her settled?
    How should I prepare for the food? Is there food provided?
    What have people experienced flying with their 1 year old?

I am so sorry there are so many questions but my mind starts racing on how to prepare for the flight. Any advice will be truely appreciated. Thanks so much

southside852 is offline Registered User

have you ever flown with her before? there are actually a bunch of threads on this website about traveling with little ones. my son is 17 months old and we are heading home via SF this Thursday on a 12.5 hour flight. This will be our 3rd over 10 hour flight with him.

My suggestions:
    1. DVDS - what doe she watch on tv? that's what they'll like. My son likes Teletubbies, in the Night Garden and Hi-5. Mostly shows from CBeebies and Nick.
    2. Food - does she eat jars of food. If so, bring what they like. Did you request a baby meal? They can heat up food for you and your bottle. But always check with your airlines directly.
    3. Our son never sleeps in a carseat, so we never bring it on board. It just gets in the way. if your baby does, then bring it.
    4. Settling your baby is very personal. I am not sure anyone can really answer it for you as you have your own way and style. We always bring our Ergo on board so we can rock him just in case near the kitchen.
    5. Personal experience flying - Our three trips back to the states have been really rough with our son. Rarely slept a wink, very active etc...We are crossing our fingers this one will be better!

LeahH is offline Registered User

Its such an indiviual thing for each baby, my son is a travel champ - my daughter a nightmare. We just did long haul and she slept for 40 mins of an 18 hr, 3 flight journey (inc. one night flight).

Her favourite DVDs for sure, playdough, plus we had a small 'etch a sketch' - a little drawing pad that erases itself. Also a torch with different fittings that you can shine on the wall to make animals. I have a brand new toy or book ready for both takeoff and landing as these are the really hard times for her (children under 2 have to be strapped to you in the seat unless they're in a car seat).

Bananas and avcados are good travel food, plus the squeezy rachel's fruit and vege packets (no utensils as they can suck direct from them). Do book an kids meal (not an infant meal) and pick what looks nice from there.

Re. settling, I would bring anything that reminds her of bedtime - her grobag, teddies etc. It will either work or not, but if she is used to sleeping in a car seat that might be the way to go. Our girl has a very set routine for napping and rarely sleeps when out in the pram - because of that and the fact we've never rocked her to sleep, sadly nothing really works for her onboard the plane. Don't worry if she cries a little, people generally have their headsets on or earplugs in anyway and don't hear much.

We've also tried phenergan (sends her hyperactive) and actifed linctus (works a little if you give it to her at the right time). Medised is an over the counter mild antihystimine that can work (not for us unfortunately!) Next time we are going for full sedation or she will never go further than Asia....

Good luck, I hope you have a good traveller!

Sleuth is offline Registered User

1. Does he have a favorite DVD? Ours likes Cars, The Bee Movie. On a flight to NZ he watched the Bee movie over and over, especially the part that takes place in the plane. But he will also read books for hours on a plane, even the safety charts in the seatbacks (if yours is a reader).
    2. Bring some jars and some formula. The airline staff will provide you with warm/hot water. He'll need something to suck on for takeoff and landing so that his ears won't hurt. Baby food on a plane is hit or miss.
    3. Can a 1 YO be safely put in a harness? We used the car seat until 2 YO. But if yours doesn't like car seats probably no point. Should point out that ours loved the car seat on the plane, but hated it in cars. He started with the car seat in the plane and never knew there was another way to ride.
    4. If he has a favorite toy and you can fit it on an airplane, bring it. Anything to make the experience more enjoyable.
    5. Our 3 YO has been flying since he was 3 months old--once or twice to the US/year, once to Aussie/NZ per year, various trips around SE Asia. Never had a problem. Sleeps like a baby. His 1 YO brother is the same way, although not as many flights early on in life. I think the key is to start them early and not let them sense that you are nervous or worried. Our 3 YO loves to fly now. He is always excited to be heading to the airport and always asking about the next trip.

papahk is offline Registered User

i would suggest, instead of a favorite toy, bring some NEW toys he has never seen. the curiosity will keep him interested far longer if he's never seen it...obv. not toys that make electronic sounds, but soft toys/soft books should not disturb others...we have a BBair and will never use it again..waste of time as our DD didn't like being harnessed...there s/b boiled water on board for formula, just keep a bottle of bottled water as well to mix to temperature...we used a coffee cup full of boiled water to warm jars of food supplied on board (you can request baby food pre boarding)...we've had GREAT long haul flights (HK to Canada) and horrible short haul (HK to Beijing) so prepare for the worst and hope for the best! good luck!

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the advice. I am not sure what movies she likes because the only thing she watches sometimes is babytv which keeps her attention sometimes. I am just curious what other 12 month old babies enjoy watching???? I tried the baby Einstien DVD and it doesn't keep her attention for very long.

papahk.....do your children sleep well at home? I am wondering because it takes my baby some time to fall asleep at home; curious if it will be an indicator for how well she will sleep on the plane.

I flew with her when she was 3 and 4.5 months. At 3 months she slept the whole time but at 4.5 months she cried for 5 hours and then slept the rest.

papahk is offline Registered User

she's a great sleeper at home, but that wasn't evident on the last short haul to Beijing and back..we are really crossing our fingers as we are off to Canada in July...(this time around she's walking so...)

we don't show her much TV/video at all, so I think it's gonna be pretty hands on the whole time (i don't sleep well on planes anyway so I don't mind walking her around and talking to the FAs)

Portia is offline Registered User

When my LO was 12 months, he enjoyed watching Sesame Beginnings (the Sesame Street characters as babies).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast