Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

intl or local kindergarden ?

cybabe is offline Registered User

intl or local kindergarden ?

Hi all,

Any idea what kind of school shall I send my daughter to? Im from HK and my hubby is english , we want our gal to read n write also speak canto, for my observe... at the moment she only interesting in English ,she is now 23mnths old still not be able to speak full sentence yet. We thinking to send her to intl one but also worry she miss the chance to learn chinese , any idea ?

carang is offline Registered User

she will miss the chance, you are right. chinese is not a language that you can just "pick up" down the road, at least not from my experience.

although i don't agree with the teaching methods at SOME local kindergartens nor at most primary schools, we have found one that we are extremely happy with. my son LOVES going to school, so much we have decided to enroll him in fullday next year (he'll be 4.5 in september).

i have every intention of enrolling my daughter in the same school when she's old enough.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I must commend you on wanting to bring up a bilingual child. DD is going to do a local strand at school next year - half in English and half in Mandarin. I would have preferred Cantonese but, alias the school only does Mandarin. She is not that into it at the moment (she has been doing Mandarin once a week for the past 12 months) but I think once at school she will be fine.

As carang said - it is not something easy to learn later and if you have the opportunity for them to start at school then go for it!

Thanks for your sharing, I may further discuss with husband see how things goes, as carang said the teaching method in local school are not good at all totally agreed, most of tem are robot learning school. I do like to send my little one to local school to learn some canto any idea for good kindergarten in shatin or kln tong area ?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Oz_kid- what school are you sending your little one to? I'm also interested in sending my son to a English/Mandarin school.

Cybabe- I also want my son to be bilingual. Do you speak to your little one in English or Cantonese?

Lily.hk is offline Registered User
    :milestone

Hi Cybabe,

I am new to HK and also very much concerned about my baby who is now 8 months old. I was set on sending him to the FIS and today, after late surfingS on the net... I am also wondering Private OR Public school? But I guess that in public schools kids are not as challenged/stimulated as in private schools.

That being said, I would love to know if there are any public kindergartens that are keen and eager to have our little ones push their limits of Knowledge... to "excel" in Kowloon or Hong Kong (West Side!).

Thanks for your help.

A Mum...

Future Hk MOM

I speak with her in english all the times i'd said abt 95% are in english, I let her to learn cantonese when my parents around.

Lily HK
    Well your concern is the same as mine the diff btw the private and the public school learning way. Actually I'm still checking the school info in here hopefully will have something good comes up . Will let u know.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

When my children were little they went to a Cantonese kindergarten, CARITAS ST FRANCIS KINDERGARTEN, Caritas in Mid-levels. There is another one nearer Pokfulam. It wasn't free we paid about $800 a month. The children were very happy there. They used learn through play. It is definitely worth checking out. One word of warning they do their applications early - usually in the September or October the year before.
    SARAH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast