Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Slow Cookers - Recommendations

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Slow Cookers - Recommendations

Hi

I have heard people who have these 'rave' about them. I love slow cooked food but wonder how much use a slow cooker (not a pressure cooker) would have.

Do you have one? How often do you use it and is there enough variety in the recipes or is it just for casseroles and soups?

Many thanks.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

LOVE my slow cooker

we have a family of six and from september to june we use our slow cooker at least once a week, usually twice.

i'm not a big lover of the creamy soups dumped on chicken which was how i used to think of slow cooker meals.

typical meals: i throw in a couple of the small brazilian chickens from park n shop so i have grilled chicken and veg dinners, (the left over chicken for lunches), chicken adobo, lamb shanks, brown sugar chicken, chili, chuck steak, casseroles, fantastic ribs, all sorts of soups, even desserts if that is your thing. i really appreciate having a slow cooker and my kids like the meals as well.

now i just need to find a butcher that can give me a good rump roast!!! (canadian staple food!)

hope this helps. i have a seven quart slow cooker and it is a good size for our family.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

I too have a slow cooker and love it! My husband really resisted because he grew up on strange crockpot recipes that his mom made up but I think I have finally won him over. It's great to be able to put things in it in the morning and come home later and have dinner all ready. My favorite slow cooker recipes are Boston baked beans, pulled pork, italian sausage soup and a bunch of variations on chicken. My all-time favorite is cornbeef and cabbage but its hard to come by the whole cornbeef here!

I think mine is a 6-quart one that we got at Wing On.

Thanks for the input.

Have you looked at the meat from tenderloin? We really liked it and if you have any problems (I did with some sausages once) they gave me a credit on my next order. Tenderloin Fine Food Ltd

They are pricey but the meat is well worth it - especially when getting cuts that you would normally only eat at a restaurant (which would be even more $$$). The meats we got were easily restaurant quality.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

We are just starting to experiment with our one but it is only a cheap one which we got on the Wellcome sticker promotion! We have had two lovely Beef and Guinness stews with dumplings. Nothing else tried yet but I love chicken stew and soups so will do some more research and try some others. I find the Taste - Recipe Finder - MSN NZ website great for some inspiration.

SB2

hehe starbucks2 that is what go me thinking about it again (well the Australian site not NZ).